Mind Foundry is an artificial intelligence company operating at the intersection of research, innovation, and usability to empower teams with AI that is built for humans. Born at the University of Oxford and founded by world-leading academics Professors Stephen Roberts and Mike Osborne, Mind Foundry develops AI solutions that help organisations in the public and private sectors tackle high-stakes problems, focussing on human outcomes and the long-term impact of AI interventions.
You'll be working alongside teams of talented scientists, engineers, design-thinkers and product specialists that enables the delivery of state-of-the-art AI/ML in a diverse range of projects; from fraud detection to policing, from minimizing food waste to defence and security, from optimizing electric vehicle charging networks to the next generation of quantum computers.
We grow and succeed together by working in collaborative, flexible, and self-organising remote-first teams where your passion for robust, science led, product development will allow you to thrive. Working at Mind Foundry will provide an excellent platform for you to grow, learn, and have a real impact on the important problems in the world by helping us to make our vision a reality.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for talented Research Scientists/Data Scientists to work on our defence & security projects. You’ll work alongside other scientists and engineers to engage directly with clients, creating solutions for problems outside of our product sphere, or helping to apply our existing products into their business. You’ll also be part of the development of new and existing features for our main products. The roles will require you to have, or be willing to undertake, security clearance to SC (DV classification would be an additional bonus).
Do you have experience in one of the following areas?
- Experience in applying Bayesian DNNs (including both CNN and RNN type architectures) and in audio and EM signal processing techniques.
- It would be helpful to have experience creating simulations with Matlab toolboxes, understanding or experience with techniques for explaining DNN models and their outputs, Understanding or experience with adaptive control techniques, using tool such as Bayesian Optimisation, Active Learning, and RL
- Experience with advanced NLP processing, including using DNNs, semantic comprehension through, for example, knowledge graphs, and entity extraction.
- It would also be helpful to have experience with analysing social media data, geospatial, and geo-temporal modelling, with data at multiple levels of resolution and fidelity.
- Experience with adaptive control techniques, using technologies such as Bayesian Optimisation, Active Learning or DeepRL.
- It would be helpful to also have experience with image analysis techniques, such as Bayesian CNNs
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
- We work in an Agile framework where you'll work collaboratively with colleagues across the teams to deliver professional-level software prototypes
- Be responsible for ensuring scientific rigour and best practice is maintained throughout the product feature delivery process, from research project to final implementation
- Depending on your experience you may be asked to supervise other team members and interns in their work on research projects where necessary
- Maintain and develop a good working knowledge of state-of-the-art Machine Learning research
- Attend appropriate scientific conferences and events in areas related to our products and services
- Mentoring colleagues in performing research, or learning about Machine Learning or Data Science
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A Degree in computer science, applied mathematics, statistics or related field, or an equivalent level of experience in these subjects.
- 2+yrs industry experience (or equivalent experience)
- Can work with state-of-the-art ML libraries to deliver powerful results quickly (Tensorflow/Pytorch)
- Fluent in a high-level programming language (Python/Java), ideally in a scientific or commercial context.
- Have experience designing and implementing software systems that allow users to make best use of ML models in a clear and intuitive way
- Be a champion of scientific integrity practices in terms of experimental rigour and validation
- Eager to learn and have a collaborative approach
- Comfortable speaking to customers (with support) and understanding what they need, or happy to learn quickly
GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- Experience handling large datasets, suitable software techniques and hardware requirements
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle and Agile methodologies
- Ability to communicate complex ideas at varying levels of depth according to audience
This role will be based from our office in Oxford but we are able to offer hybrid working.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
You'd be joining a talented and fun team of scientists, engineers, storytellers and problem-solvers who are dedicated to innovation, ethical AI, the pursuit of knowledge and making the world a better place. We believe in investing in our people by encouraging career and personal development. We strive to ensure all staff have the tools, time & support they need to shape their own professional development. We want to help you to be the best at what you do and to allow you to grow with the company.
You’ll enjoy a competitive compensation package, an awesome work environment in Summertown (Oxford, UK), if that’s where you choose to work from. We also offer great benefits* such as:
- Flexible working options
- Professional and personal development
- Private healthcare (including dental and optical cover)
- Stakeholder Pension
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- An opportunity for equity in the company
- Physical and mental health well-being initiatives e.g. discounts on gym memberships and sportswear & equipment, free fitness & nutrition programmes and professional mental health support sessions
- Life cover
- Cycle to work scheme
- Plus many more e.g. social events, games night, pub lunches, office treats etc - even in our current Covid world!
*Benefits may differ for employees based outside of the UK.
For more information about us, please go to www.mindfoundry.ai