Bottom line up front:
- Early-stage digital health company, have raised a $12 million seed round, searching for a Founding Product Designer to be one of the first people on the team.
- We are looking for someone who loves building delight into experiences. Who cares about the interactions of an experience as much as the layout or information architecture. It’s all about the little things!
- Co-Founders are seasoned operators who’ve built and grown companies before.
- Salaries at the top of benchmarks, with significant equity ownership.
- Founders believe in Design as a critical lever for solving business problems, and not just as a bolt on aesthetic layer.
- Miga Health helps people lead longer, healthier lives, using at-home blood pressure monitoring, telemedicine, mail-order pharmacy, and lifestyle coaching.
- Remote team from day one, supporting time zones from New York to Sydney (GMT +10 ← GMT -4).
Who is Miga Health?
At Miga Health, we are building the future of heart health. We exist to help people lead the long, healthy lives they deserve, by preventing the next million heart attacks and strokes.
Cardiovascular disease is responsible for 1 in 3 deaths. What’s crazy is that 80% of premature heart attacks and strokes are preventable, so the opportunity for improvement is astounding.
Our founders are purpose-driven and values aligned, and we will spend a good portion of our interview process trying to understand where your values lie. We strive everyday to build a culture where people aren’t afraid to ask the hard questions, challenge the unacceptable, and always think about how consumers will feel.
We’ve just raised a large seed round, and are in that fun phase of rapid experimentation, which means we’re looking for people who are comfortable with ambiguity, change, and uncertainty.
We’ve been remote-first since day one, and are accepting applications from people who are based in time zones between New York and Sydney (GMT +10 ← GMT -4).
Why is Miga Health hiring a first designer now?
Too often design is considered a bolt on afterthought, to make things look slick and pretty. We believe that design should be a powerful lever in solving real business problems. We want you to join as one of our first teammates, because we want design to have a seat at the decision making table as early as possible. Our team has worked with incredible designers before, and are excited for you to push our thinking. You won’t be fighting battles to convince people that design matters.
Does Miga Health support remote work?
We are building an exceptional team and seek out the best talent across the world. We have been remote-first from day one and support time zones from New York to Sydney. We do have an office in San Francisco for those in the Bay Area and for regular off-sites.
What is Miga Health building?
We’re going to combine the best of consumer companies that we all know and love (Calm, Nike, Duolingo, Disney, HBO, etc.) with innovative and convenient telemedicine and pharmacy to deliver a fun and entertaining healthcare experience like no other.
Who is Miga Health’s customer?
We are a direct for consumer company. We put the consumer at the center of everything we do, constantly asking ourselves the question — “how does this person feel?”
To that end, we’ve conducted dozens and dozens of interviews with people to learn about their lives living with cardiovascular disease. All these interviews have been recorded and transcribed, and we’ve synthesized them into insights (in Dovetail) that we can share with you as part of any interview process. We’ve also interviewed many primary care physicians and cardiologists.
What will I do?
We exist to prevent heart attacks and strokes, and reduce suffering and death. Fundamentally that is what you will do, too! The problem is complex and mind bendingly difficult, but if you’re a purpose-driven individual who likes challenge, then you’ll love working at Miga Health.
As the Founding Product Designer you will report directly to our Co-Founder (Dre) to deliver delightful, entertaining, and motivating experiences to consumers. As one of the first people to join the team, you’ll have incredible opportunity for growth, influence, and impact.
Some of the responsibilities of this role:
- Create experiences for consumers that are delightful, entertaining, and motivating — a stark difference to the existing healthcare system — primary product design for our native mobile experience, but working with our partners at Red Antler for branding, and offline touchpoints like packaging and unboxing.
- Designing interactions and experiences that are consumer grade, and give our application personality and memorability.
- Rapidly test product experiences for consumers by designing low-fi prototypes, and testing them with real consumers.
- Speak to our customers to develop a strong perspective on their problems and how they feel, and synthesize those conversations into insights, personas and jobs to be done.
- Collaborate with engineering and product to understand the complexity and implications of design decisions, and make tradeoffs.
- Create and nurture a design led culture within the company, by partnering with folks from in product, engineering, operations, and beyond.
- Work closely with engineering and product to build, iterate on, and ship concepts.
- Lead Design at Miga Health.
What is Miga Health looking for?
tldr; You’re excited about building something from the ground up, have some experience with zero-to-one product development, and are passionate about the problem we’re working on.
- You have a portfolio of design work that shows your ability to create delightful and entertaining experiences.
- You don’t need to have any experience working in heart health or even healthcare, we welcome anyone who can help us think differently and creatively about the problem space.
- We’re in a stage of rapid experimentation and prototyping, so you will need to be comfortable with incredible amounts of ambiguity, change, and uncertainty.
- You’re a purpose-driven individual who likes challenge, and wants to be part of building a healthcare future that doesn’t leave anyone behind.
- You’re comfortable asking the hard questions, even when it’s uncomfortable.
- You sweat the details on polish and execution, but don’t let great get in the way of good.
- You work quickly, but push back on timelines to hold the experience bar high.
- You communicate your design vision openly and clearly.
- You influence your teammates so they can contribute and help to drive your vision.
- You’re a system thinker that considers how decisions impact the company tomorrow.
- You’re comfortable doing more than pure product design (extending into research, marketing, brand).
How does Miga Health approach compensation?
We are big believers in providing excellent compensation to everyone on the team as we build the future of heart health.
- We offer salaries at the top of the benchmarks you’d find for senior roles at big name companies (from levels.fyi and other sources).
- We provide equity to all employees regardless of role or location. Importantly, because you’d be one of the first few teammates, the size of any equity grant will be significant
What benefits does Miga Health offer?
We are embarking on an ambitious journey and are committed to providing generous benefits, even at this early stage.
- We cover 100% of health, dental, and vision premiums, and 75% of any dependents.
- We provide a 401(k) plan and FSA.
- Work remotely and design your days how you like.
- Face to face offsite in San Francisco every 3-months, with flights and lodging paid for.
- Unlimited PTO, where you’re truly offline — no meetings, messages or work.
- A powerful Macbook Pro to do your best work.
What does the interview process look like?
- Meet the team and learn about Miga Health
- Your first call will be with one of our Co-Founders, Dre. The goal of the conversation is to explore whether a partnership may be a good fit for both parties. There’s absolutely no preparation required! Next you’ll meet our other Co-Founder, Jarrad, and get to know him a little better, too. If we’re all excited about continuing, we’ll send you a bunch of materials about the problem, our company, and our research, and book you in for the next steps.
- Learn about each others values
- We want to understand more about what makes you tick, and to that end, we’ve written a set of questions that we ask you to fill out in writing. Jarrad, Dre, and all Miga Health teammates have answered those same questions (Jarrad and Dre used them to vet one another as Co-Founders). When you’ve finished your writing, you can send us your answers, and we’ll send you ours. We then jump on a call to chat through anything that is worth discussing.
- At this stage, you’ll also be able to meet any other people on the team that you want to chat with about their experiences with Miga Health.
- Portfolio review
- This will be a deep dive into a project (or two) from your portfolio, facilitated by one of our advisors. You can pick any projects that you want, but would encourage you to select ones that demonstrate how you are best suited to joining an organization like Miga Health. We’re interested in seeing the process and artifacts from the steps throughout, not just the polished finished images.
- Final steps
- We’ll do a few reference checks with people that you’ve worked with in the past, and discuss any other remaining questions that you or we have.
How do I learn more or apply?
Email Dre directly (dre at migahealth dot com) to learn more. Please include a portfolio (and any passwords)
If you want to apply, then submit an application using the form below.