MicroVest Capital Management LLC
Job Title: Investment Officer
Job Status: Full Time Regular
Reporting To: Director of Investments
MicroVest is an SEC-registered asset manager that specializes in allocating private debt capital to Responsible Financial Institutions or “RFIs” in emerging and frontier markets. As one of the first U.S. based impact investors, we have built a 15-year track record investing in financial institutions whose interests are aligned with the borrowers and communities they serve, which generates social impact and financial returns for investors every year.
I. JOB SUMMARY:
The Investment Officer will support the Investment Team in the following areas: 1) new business development, 2) investment execution – identification, analysis, due diligence, structuring, and disbursement of RFI investments 3) portfolio management – reporting, problem asset management, country risk analysis and 4) investment administration. The Investment Officer must have a solid knowledge foundation of emerging markets, particularly as relates to financial systems and regulations.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
New Business Development –
· Assess RFI market dynamics, liaise with market participants to build pipeline and knowledge
· Perform screening and desk reviews of potential RFIs
· Attend conferences and forums to build awareness of MicroVest’s services and products
· Develop RFI pipeline that meets MV funds’ risk/return and impact profile(s)
Investment Execution – Quarterbacking the Investment Process
· Analyze financial statements of RFIs using spreadsheet and proprietary software, assess performance indicators including capital adequacy, asset quality, management and governance, earnings, and liquidity.
· Under the supervision of the Director of Investments, develop and negotiate proposed terms and conditions for debt investments in RFIs.
· Perform in-country and virtual due diligence for RFI investments
· Under supervision of the Manager of Credit Underwriting, prepare investment proposals for presentation to Investment Committee.
· Coordinate with internal legal counsel, local legal counsel, and RFIs to ensure that i) legal documentation of investments are executed according to approved terms, and ii) deals are closed swiftly and in accordance without exception to MicroVest’s investment disbursement procedures
· Validate RFI’s commitment to social performance and impact
Portfolio Management –
· In coordination with Portfolio Analysts, ensure timely RFI reporting and analysis of RFI performance metrics and trends
· Respond to client inquiries, including covenant waiver/amendment requests
· Prepare periodic written analyses of RFI performance and trends
· Maintain timely and accurate knowledge of country risk evolution, financial regulation and political developments, and macroeconomic trends which may impact RFI performance
· Coordinate with legal, risk, and investment teams MicroVest representation during multi-lender workout situations as they arise
· Review and maintain investment files
· Support in the drafting of marketing material, including RFI social impact reports
III. WORKING CONDITIONS
MicroVest’s office is in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. The Investment Officer will be required to travel internationally to emerging markets with regular frequency (approx. 25% time). Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, virtual/remote work arrangement is available for all staff through 2020. Status of future virtual/remote work arrangement to be determined at a later date.
The ideal person will 1) have a Master’s degree with a concentration in Finance, Accounting or Economics, 2) have three to five years of relevant experience in finance, accounting or economics, 3) have investment analysis skills and/or be credit-trained, 4) have a general understanding of financial institutions as a tool used in economic development, 5) have experience living and/or working in emerging markets, and 6) be fluent in English and Spanish.
The following table outlines specific education, skills or abilities which are required:
PREFERENCE GIVEN TO THE FOLLOWING
REQUIRED EDUCATION/SKILLS/ABILITIES PREFERENCE GIVEN TO THE FOLLOWING
· Strong Background in Finance, Accounting or
· Master’s Degree in related field or MBA
· Financial Management and Investment
· Fluency in English and Spanish
· Project/Task Management experience
(attention to detail and ability to handle
multiple tasks simultaneously)
· Strong relationship management skills.
· Ability to work effectively in a multicultural
· Self-starter capable of leading a project from
start through conclusion
· Proficiency with MS suite
· Minimum of three to five years of relevant professional experience; preferably in Finance, Banking, or Accounting. Preference given for direct experience with financial institutions in emerging markets · A demonstrated commitment to socially responsible initiatives · Research and leadership skills. · Proficiency with Salesforce (CRM) and I-Level (portfolio management) systems · Knowledge or familiarity with Latin American countries and markets. Interest in working in emerging markets in other areas of the world as well.
MicroVest believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against our employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual preference, physical handicap or medical condition. Equal employment opportunity will be extended to all persons in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including recruitment, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, layoff, recall and termination.