Job Title: Portfolio Analyst
Job Status: Full Time Regular
Reporting To: Manager of Credit Underwriting
MicroVest is an SEC-registered asset manager that specializes in allocating private debt capital to Responsible Financial Institutions or “RFIs” in emerging and frontier markets. As one of the first U.S. based impact investors, we have built a 15-year track record investing in financial institutions whose interests are aligned with the borrowers and communities they serve, which generates social impact and financial returns for investors every year.
I. JOB SUMMARY:
The Portfolio Analyst is responsible for monitoring performance metrics and trends of RFIs held in MicroVest’s portfolios, while supporting the Investment Team in assessing and managing portfolio risk, developing and managing RFI relationships, and underwriting RFI transactions.
II. RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
Portfolio Monitoring – Monitor portfolio RFI performance metrics, trends and compliance with legal agreements; analyze trends and report issues to the attention of Manager of Credit Underwriting and Director of Risk (estimate 60% time)
- Quarterly monitoring of RFI performance –
- Liaise with portfolio RFIs to obtain timely reporting of financial and portfolio data
- Analyzefinancial and portfolio data using standardized financial analysis templates
- Follow up with portfolio RFIs to resolve data issues and obtain further information
- Highlight trends/issues and follow up with relevant Investment and Risk team members
- Participate in update calls with portfolio RFIs and relevant Investment Officers
- Maintain and update credit risk scoring models (quarterly) for portfolio companies
- Monitor portfolio company compliance with reporting and financial covenants
- Support Investment, Legal and Risk teams to resolve issues
- Track portfolio companies in forbearance or restructuring status, participate in weekly meetings addressing forbearances/restructurings, covenant breaches
- Maintain MicroVest database of portfolio RFI financial information –
- Monitor integrity and timeliness of data
- Prepare reports from database to identify portfolio risk characteristics and trends
- Prepare periodic written analyses of portfolio company performance trends –
- Qualitative analysis of portfolio RFI operations, management, and governance
- Liaise with Risk team to produce requested reviews of portfolio RFI performance and summaries of portfolio RFI risk evolutions
- Contribute to valuations of debt and equity investments –
- Update portfolio company credit risk scores using MV proprietary internal obligor and sovereign scoring models for use by Risk and F&A teams in performing valuation of debt investments
- Provide analysis of portfolio RFI performance, market comps, and market trends to justify valuations of legacy equity investments
Underwriting Support – Provide underwriting support to Investment Team as directed – (estimate 40% time)
- Perform country risk analysis – economic, political, regulatory, business environment, financial sector
- Perform financial analysis of prospective and existing portfolio RFIs
- Assist in the preparation of Deal Alerts and Investment Committee Memos
- Support Investment Team due diligence and monitoring activities, attend regional conferences
- Support the investment closing and disbursement process
III. WORKING CONDITIONS
MicroVest’s office is in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area. The Portfolio Analyst may be required to travel internationally to emerging markets with some frequency (approx. 10% time). Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, virtual/remote work arrangement is available for all staff through 2020. Status of future virtual/remote work arrangement to be determined at a later date.
The ideal candidate will 1) have a Bachelor’s degree and 1-2 years of work experience in the financial sector, 2) have work experience or academic training in business and financial statement analysis, 3) experience and interest in international development or finance, particularly in emerging markets, 4) have strong analytical skills, 5) be proficient with Microsoft Office software and have experience and interest in database management and reporting, 6) be able to multi-task well, 7) have strong initiative (be a self-starter), attention to detail, and solution-orientation, 8) possess superior organizational and communication skills.
The following table outlines specific education, skills or abilities which are required:
PREFERENCE GIVEN TO THE FOLLOWING
MicroVest believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against our employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual preference, physical handicap or medical condition. Equal employment opportunity will be extended to all persons in all aspects of the employer-employeerelationship, including recruitment, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, layoff, recall and termination.