MicroVest is a growing company with over $300 million of committed capital across five private funds investing predominantly in responsible financial institutions (RFIs) in emerging markets. MicroVest is registered as an investment advisor with the SEC and is owned by CARE, MEDA, Cordes Family Foundation and MicroVest staff members.
MicroVest invests capital in under-banked markets around the globe. Our detailed due diligence process and focus on the alignment of values results in unlocking of financial value in rising middle class communities. As a result, our investments create meaningful financial returns for our investors.
The Junior Accountant will support the Accounting Manager in maintaining the accounting of the Company and all of its subsidiaries.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Assist in preparing balance sheet reconciliations;
- Assist with quarterly financial reporting;
- Prepare invoices, distribute and collect payment;
- Monitor the accounting and AP e-mail accounts for questions and requests from staff and vendors; Respond to all vendor inquires and resolve any payment and/or invoice discrepancies;
- Manage the organized storage of all contracts, leases and agreements;
- Record journal entries for payroll and reconcile all payroll related accounts to general ledger;
- Support the annual audit(s) by providing documents as requested;
- Manage the storage of accounting records, including the transfer of records to offsite storage;
- Complete other support and projects of the Accounting Department as needed;
- Act as a liaison for vendors to reconcile and billing discrepancies
- Audit vendor invoices against contracts or other data sources to ensure accuracy;
- Code all invoices and employee reimbursements, ensuring they are assigned to the correct entity and GL accounts; Process them semi-monthly for payment;
- Record corporate credit card activity and audit employee expense reports;
- Allocate and reconcile fund specific expenses;
- Process 1099s at year end;
- Collect the mail, sort and distribute;
- Collect approvals for all invoices, ensuring the related contract and W9 has been filed;
- Assist with other projects and duties as needed.
Based in MicroVest offices in Bethesda, MD (Washington, D.C. Metro Area). No travel expected.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- A 4-year degree in Accounting or Finance from an accredited university required;
- 1-2 years’ experience managing accounts payable or related accounting experience required;
- Hands-on experience working with general ledgers;
- Must be organized and have demonstrated experience with multi-tasking and prioritizing work effectively with guidance;
- Excellent problem-solving skills;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (primarily Excel and Word);
- Experience with QuickBooks software (desktop version);
- Discretion and the ability to manage confidential information;
- An interest in social finance and sustainable economic development.
MicroVest believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunity. We do not discriminate against our employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual preference, physical handicap or medical condition. Equal employment opportunity will be extended to all persons in all aspects of the employer-employee relationship, including recruitment, hiring, upgrading, training, promotion, transfer, discipline, layoff, recall and termination