Please make sure to read the application thoroughly and follow the appropriate application process, incomplete applications will not be considered.
We believe the place where you are born shouldn't determine your opportunities in life. We provide access to global opportunities by offering a world-class education no matter where you come from.
Microverse is an online school for software developers where students learn to work remotely with people from around the world. Students don't pay tuition until they get hired and start a global career. As of today, we have students in 100+ countries, and more than 90% of our alumni get a job within 6 months with an average salary increase of 240% working for companies like Microsoft, and VMWare.
We are backed by amazing investors worldwide, including Y Combinator, Northzone, General Catalyst, and many world-class angel investors, such as Paul Graham, Paul Buchheit (the creator of Gmail), Kevin Hartz (the founder of Eventbrite), and Erica Brescia (Github's COO).
We are a passionate and fast-moving team of global citizens working remotely from 12+ countries. Being remote-first and transparent, we take pride in the amazing remote culture we are building, while also making time for in-person time with team members around the world. We are a small but mighty team of curious, life-long learners, who love tackling challenges and helping shape the future of education.
Talent is universal, but opportunity is not. We're on a mission to change that. With the recent closing of our Series A, there has never been a more exciting time to join our growing team.
About the Role
We are looking for a Data Engineer who is excited about turning data into information, information into insight, and insight into business decisions. Exposing data in a way that makes it easy for stakeholders to consume it autonomously is critical to how we operate at Microverse.
At Microverse we use a mix of code, low-code, and no-code stacks to provide the software our students and staff interact with. As we build out more scalable systems that go from handling thousands of students currently, to tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands in the future, we will face challenges in how to maintain our nimble "solve your own problem" current approach with a more stable, less fragile implementation.
We have data in PostgreSQL databases, as well as in Airtable and other sources, we load that raw data in our data warehouse, transform it with DBT, and feed that to Metabase, our BI tool of choice.
- Ensure we are asking ourselves the right questions. Connect with stakeholders to gain a full understanding of the problems they’re looking to solve.
- Collect data, identify relevant data sources.
- Process and cleanse the data. Verify its integrity.
- Set up and maintain our data infrastructure. Develop and maintain our databases.
- Design and implement data migration processes (e.g. scripts).
- Get answers to key business questions. Analyze the data for trends and patterns, detect anomalies, organize it into usable formats, create reports and visualizations, and tell the story behind them.
- Set up and maintaining a monitoring and alerting system related to key metrics.
- Support the team in data-related goal setting (e.g. defining and tracking relevant KPIs, and setting good targets during OKR season).
- Refine and enforce our information security policies.
- Share your knowledge, insights, and best practices about your field with the team.
- Represent Microverse and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- 3+ years of experience as a Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Data Engineer, or similar role.
- Strong knowledge of and experience with databases, and query languages. Ability to optimize complex SQL statements, knowledge of DB best practices, familiarity with tools that can aid with resource usage profiling and optimization.
- Knowledge and experience with programming languages (e.g. Ruby, Python, etc).
- Familiarity with Business Intelligence tools (e.g. Metabase).
- Familiarity with ETL frameworks (e.g. Fivetran).
- Familiarity with the reverse ETL approach.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Experience using Git in a professional/workplace environment. Ability to use GitHub.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers providing clear status updates.
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with great organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization, beyond the Engineering team
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
- Have experience with DBT scripting.
- Have experience with Ruby.
- Have experience with Metabase.
- Have high empathy for working with individuals from different countries and cultures.
- Are eager to experiment and learn.
- Are based in Europe, the East Coast, or a similar timezone in the Americas, or Africa (for max. timezone overlap with the rest of the team).
- Consider yourself to be a global citizen and are passionate about making opportunities more equally distributed around the world.
At Microverse, salaries are transparent and based on location and experience.
Some example salaries for locations are below:
- San Francisco: $95,000
- Warsaw: $56,425.51
- Kiev: $49,570.87
- Bucharest: $52,584.97
- Mexico City: $53,161.40
- Lagos: $60,974.43
- Sao Paulo: $50,445.93
- New York: $101,129.97
- Buenos Aires: $49,244.46
- Montevideo: $55,494.89
Core Working Hours
At Microverse, we strive to work asynchronously as much as possible in order to make global remote collaboration effective and efficient. However, we have core hours where every team member is expected to be available for meetings. Core hours at Microverse are 10:30 am to 12:30 pm Eastern Time, USA. If you live on the West Coast of North America or in East Africa/Europe, this will probably impact your daily schedule more than other team members.
Why you might be excited about us
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing, mission-driven company and make a positive impact on thousands of people around the world.
- Leading all-remote working culture.
- International company retreats with our global team once every ~9 months.
- Meet-the-team travel allowance.
- Learning and development stipend for books, courses, and conferences.
- Hardware & office set up stipend.
- Unlimited PTO and 12 weeks fully-paid parental leave.
- Work alongside our fully distributed team from 12+ different countries.
- This position is a full-time remote position.
- Our team believes in and embodies our core values:
- We are global citizens
- We are passionate about our mission
- We invest in people
- We are eager learners
- We are transparent
- We take ownership of our work
- We live a harmonious life
How to Apply
- Send us a short paragraph telling us why you think you are a great fit for this position and include the keyword in the job listing to make sure that you read the entire job description. Applications without an introduction including the keyword will not be moved forward in the process.
- This position is a full-time remote position.
- Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only be able to get back to you if we decide to move forward with your application.
- If you pass the first screening, we will invite you to the second step of our hiring process where we use a tool called Hireflix to ask a few questions. We use this tool to promote asynchronous communication and to achieve a more objective initial screening - both of which are very important in our remote environment.
- Following steps: Interview with the hiring manager, short take-home assignment, general and cultural fit interview with a team member, and finally, a cultural fit interview with our CEO.
Microverse is an equal opportunity employer and acts in this capacity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.