Please make sure to read the application thoroughly and follow the appropriate application process, incomplete applications will not be considered.
We believe the place where you are born shouldn't determine your opportunities in life. We provide access to global opportunities by offering a world-class education no matter where you come from.
Microverse is an online school for software developers where students learn to work remotely with people from around the world. Students don't pay tuition until they get hired and start a global career. As of today, we have students in 100+ countries, and more than 90% of our alumni get a job within 6 months with an average salary increase of 240% working for companies like Microsoft, and VMWare.
We are backed by amazing investors worldwide, including Y Combinator, Northzone, General Catalyst, and many world-class angel investors, such as Paul Graham, Paul Buchheit (the creator of Gmail), Kevin Hartz (the founder of Eventbrite), and Erica Brescia (Github's COO).
We are a passionate and fast-moving team of global citizens working remotely from 12+ countries. Being remote-first and transparent, we take pride in the amazing remote culture we are building, while also making time for in-person time with team members around the world. We are a small but mighty team of curious, life-long learners, who love tackling challenges and helping shape the future of education.
🙋♀️ About the Role
We are looking for a Senior Full-Stack Ruby on Rails Software Developer to join our team and implement new features, fix existing functionality as well as help our architecture evolve and support orders of magnitude more students. To be successful in this role you should have multiple years of experience building and maintaining web applications that use Ruby on Rails but also integrate with 3rd party services via REST APIs and allow for low-code/no-code interactions written by our Operations staff in tools like Zapier, Integromat, and Airtable. Being comfortable with Heroku and Google Cloud Platform is a big plus!
At Microverse we use a mix of code, low-code, and no-code stacks to provide the software component our students and staff interact with, and as we grow we expect the reliance on code (Ruby on Rails, currently) to increase. As we build out more scalable systems that go from handling thousands of students currently, to tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands in the future, we will face challenges in how to maintain our nimble "solve your own problem" current approach with a more stable, less fragile implementation.
We strive for simple, anti-fragile solutions that iteratively grow to support our needs. Better to experiment and test our assumptions with running code than over-analyze and spend weeks arguing over specs or mockups.
With a keen interest in Open Source technologies, and a desire to involve our students in the running of the school, we foresee a future where we work in a fully transparent manner (FOSS licensed!) allowing our student body to take paid apprentice roles to help us also develop and maintain our infrastructure as well as hone their skills with real-work production systems experience. Are you up to that challenge?
- Build new features. Help define and implement new features to improve the Microverse student experience, in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Fix prioritized issues from our issue tracker.
- Participate in weekday and weekend on-call rotations; troubleshoot and resolve urgent issues.
- Address Technical Debt. Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team, propose and implement solutions.
- Provide code review to your peers. Help define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Participate in solutioning and derisking. Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment. Advocate for, and implement improvements to product quality, security, and performance. Influence the overall vision and long-range goals of your team.
- Provide mentorship for junior and intermediate Engineers in your team.
- Represent Microverse and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
🎯 Experience & Skills Requirements
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails is a must.
- Professional experience with other relevant technologies a plus (RDBMS/PostgreSQL, Redis, and REST APIs).
- Experience with writing automated tests (e.g. RSpec).
- Experience using Git in a professional/workplace environment. Ability to use GitHub.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- Effective communication skills. Regularly achieve consensus with peers, and clear status updates. Capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems, particularly at large scale, and a demonstrated ability to diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with great organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
😍 Ideally, you also...
- Have high empathy for working with individuals from different countries and cultures.
- Are eager to experiment and learn.
- Are based in Europe, the East Coast, or a similar timezone in the Americas, or Africa (for max. timezone overlap with the rest of the team).
- Consider yourself to be a global citizen and are passionate about making opportunities more equally distributed around the world.
💰 Salary Description
At Microverse, salaries are transparent and based on location and experience. The salary range for this role could be between $71,671.87 - $161,344.45. We used Kiev and New York City for the range benchmarks.
Some example salaries for locations are below:
- Warsaw: $86,773.97 - $95,750.58
- Kiev: $71,671.87 - $79,086.20
- Bucharest: $76,029.79 - $83,894.94
- Mexico City: $76,863.21 - $84,814.58
- Lagos: $88,159.66 - $97,279.63
- Sao Paulo: $72,937.07 - $80,482.28
- New York City: $146,218.41 - $161,344.45
Equity compensation: 0.09%
⏰ Time Zone & Hours
At Microverse, we strive to work asynchronously as much as possible in order to make global remote collaboration effective and efficient. However, we have core hours where every team member is expected to be available for meetings. Core hours at Microverse are 10:30 am to 12:30 pm Eastern Time, USA.
For max. overlap with the rest of the team members we accept candidates based in Africa, Europe, or the east coast of the Americas.
- Opportunity to join a fast-growing, mission-driven company and make a positive impact on thousands of people around the world.
- Leading all-remote working culture.
- International company retreats with our global team once every ~9 months.
- Meet-the-team travel allowance.
- Learning and development stipend for books, courses, and conferences.
- Hardware & office set up stipend.
- Unlimited PTO and 12 weeks fully-paid parental leave.
- Work alongside our fully distributed team from 12+ different countries.
- This position is a full-time remote position.
- Our team believes in and embodies our core values:
- We are global citizens
- We are passionate about our mission
- We invest in people
- We are eager learners
- We are transparent
- We take ownership of our work
- We live a harmonious life
📝 How to Apply
- Send us a short paragraph telling us why you think you are a great fit for this position and include the keyword "sunshine" in the job listing to make sure that you read the entire job description. Applications without a keyword will not be moved forward in the process.
- This position is a full-time remote position.
- The resume you send should be in English.
- If you pass the first screening, we will invite you to the second step of our hiring process where we use a tool called Hireflix to ask a few questions. We use this tool to promote asynchronous communication and to achieve a more objective initial screening - both of which are very important in our remote environment.
- Following steps: Interview with the hiring manager, short take-home assignment, general and cultural fit interview with a team member, and finally, a cultural fit interview with our CEO.
Microverse is an equal opportunity employer and acts in this capacity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.