Metropolis is an AI and computer vision start-up building the technological and real estate infrastructure to facilitate the future of mobility.
This is your opportunity to join early and build something remarkable at the intersection of technology, mobility, and real estate. We are reimagining the parking experience today but developing an ecosystem to support all forms of mobility tomorrow. If you have a passion for transforming the urban landscape to more intelligently facilitate EV charging, last mile transport, autonomous vehicles, and even electrical vertical take-off-and-landing (eVTOL), please consider joining us.
The company is led by an experience executive team with diverse backgrounds, including a successful LA-based tech founder, a technical leader from eHarmony and DogVacay, and senior professionals from major global financial services firms and the world’s leading mobility companies. Our first-class engineering talent joins us from Facebook, Amazon, Palantir, Bird, Factual, Honey, Canoo, and others.
We approach life with wonder and curiosity. We’re inventors, skeptics and, at times, have been called crazy. We challenge one another with passion, from principle and with respect. But above all, we are relentless in our drive to build a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive culture.
Metropolis is seeking a Senior Embedded Systems Engineer to lead software development for our field deployed custom hardware systems. We are developing a broad suite of technologies that enable the operation of our CV/ML platform, including but not limited to camera and computer vision systems, embedded computers, IoT sensors and automated access control systems.
In this role, you will be responsible for defining and developing software that supports these systems, including both platform and application development. You will work closely with members of the Hardware Engineering, Machine Learning, and Operations organizations to define requirements and support deployment of software into production. You will be expected to wear many engineering hats and support a variety of development efforts. This is a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor and help define the direction of not only the software, but the embedded hardware systems, that will power Metropolis into the future. If you have a background in embedded systems, sensors, cameras and computer vision, and are interested in developing systems that go out into the real world, please reach out!
When you join Metropolis, you’ll join a team of world-class product leaders and engineers, building an ecosystem of technologies at the intersection of parking, mobility and real estate. Our goal is to build an inclusive culture where everyone has a voice, and the best idea wins. You will play a key role in building and maintaining this culture as our organization grows.
- Lead design and development of embedded software and systems to enable, integrate, and operate field deployed custom electromechanical devices that work with the Metropolis CV/ML platform
- Participate in all phases of embedded software development, from concept and design to deployment and maintenance
- Identify top level embedded software requirements and establish development best practices
- Must be comfortable leading software and architecture design reviews
- Work with hardware engineers and operations to support hardware bring-up, debug and deployment
Requirements and Qualifications
- BS in CS/ECE or related discipline, or 8+ years of equivalent embedded software development experience
- 5+ years of embedded software development experience with demonstrated end-to-end ownership of an embedded software project
- Experience as the technical lead, leading small groups of other engineers across multiple designs
- Experience designing software for embedded microcontrollers (ARM, PIC, etc.) and/or Embedded Linux (Ubuntu, Mint, etc.) in a production environment
- Expert level knowledge of at least one modern embedded language, such as C/C++ or Rust, including object-oriented design.
- Experience contributing to the designs and architectures of both new and existing software systems, including design patterns, reliability, test strategy and scaling
- Experience in development and test of common embedded hardware interfaces (GPIO, ethernet, USB, etc.)
- Experience with real time software development, including RTOS, bare metal embedded systems, and/or Linux kernel/device drivers
- Demonstrated experience debugging/troubleshooting embedded systems, including the use of real-time tools.
- MS or PhD in CS/ECE or related discipline
- Experience working with FPGA or SoC based systems
- Experience working with power constrained and/or IoT systems
- Experience working with camera systems and related interfaces (MIPI CSI, LVDS, etc.)
- Familiarity with PCB design software such as Altium, Eagle, etc.
- Attractive compensation and generous benefits package (100% Medical, 50% Vision and Dental)
- Company 401(k) match up to 6% of salary
- Paid company snacks and after-hour meals
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Gym reimbursement program
- 529 savings plan
- Commuter benefits
At Metropolis, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our customers, and our community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.