Metropolis is an AI and computer vision start-up building the technological and real estate infrastructure to facilitate the future of mobility.
This is your opportunity to join early and build something remarkable at the intersection of technology, mobility, and real estate. We are reimagining the parking experience today but developing an ecosystem to support all forms of mobility tomorrow. If you have a passion for transforming the urban landscape to more intelligently facilitate EV charging, last mile transport, autonomous vehicles, and even electrical vertical take-off-and-landing (eVTOL), please consider joining us.
The company is led by an experienced executive team with diverse backgrounds, including a successful LA-based tech founder, a technical leader from eHarmony and DogVacay, and senior professionals from major global financial services firms and the world’s leading mobility companies. Our first-class engineering talent joins us from Facebook, Amazon, Palantir, Bird, Factual, Honey, Canoo, and others.
We approach life with wonder and curiosity. We’re inventors, skeptics and, at times, have been called crazy. We challenge one another with passion, from principle and with respect. But above all, we are relentless in our drive to build a collaborative, diverse, and inclusive culture.
Metropolis is seeking a Senior Electromechanical Engineer to lead the design and development of our field deployed custom hardware systems. We are developing a broad suite of technologies that enable the operation of our CV/ML platform, including but not limited to camera and computer vision systems, embedded computers, IoT sensors and automated access control systems.
In this role, you will be responsible for defining and developing these hardware systems, including leading the overall design for the electrical and mechanical portions of the systems. Your work will let you span engineering disciplines - on any given day you could find yourself moving between camera system design, mechanical housing development, COTS sensor system integration, and more. You will work closely with members of the Software Engineering, Machine Learning, and Operations organization to define requirements and support manufacture and deployment of hardware into production. You will be expected to wear many engineering hats and support a variety of development efforts.
This is a great opportunity to get in on the ground floor and help define the direction of the technologies that will power Metropolis into the future. If you have a background in embedded systems, sensors, cameras and computer vision, and are interested in developing systems that go out into the real world, please reach out!
When you join Metropolis, you’ll join a team of world-class product leaders and engineers, building an ecosystem of technologies at the intersection of parking, mobility and real estate. Our goal is to build an inclusive culture where everyone has a voice, and the best idea wins. You will play a key role in building and maintaining this culture as our organization grows.
- Lead end-to-end electromechanical system design for field deployable hardware, automation and sensing systems
- Possess broad skill set spanning electrical, mechanical and system engineering, comfortably moving between disciplines to deliver well designed solutions
- Participate in all phases of design, from design and prototyping to manufacturing and deployment
- Identify top level electromechanical system requirements and establish design/manufacturing/test best practices
- Work closely with a cross-functional team including HW/SW engineers, ML/CV engineers, product management and vendors
- Lead build/buy analysis, and work with vendors to design, manufacture, procure systems as needed.
- Must be comfortable leading electromechanical system design and architecture reviews.
Requirements and Qualifications
- BS in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Mechatronics, or related discipline, or 8+ years of equivalent engineering experience
- 5+ years of experience in electromechanical system design and system integration
- Experience as a technical lead designing hardware systems or products that have been deployed at scale
- Experience performing detailed, highly technical build vs buy analyses of complex electromechanical systems
- Experience with DFx principles and their application to the design/manufacturing process
- Proficiency with one or more PCB and mechanical CAD tools (Altium, Eagle, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, etc.)
- Working knowledge of at least one modern programming language such as Python or C/C++
- Working knowledge of PCB fabrication and SMT processes
- MS or PhD in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Mechatronics, or related discipline
- Experience developing and testing of camera, IoT, and other power constrained sensor systems
- Experience developing rapid iteration prototypes and joint hardware/firmware development
- Familiarity with common engineering documentation tools and practices (electrical schematics, mechanical drawings, requirements documentation, interface control)
- Experience with hardware/software integration, including real-time systems and edge processing
- Exposure to the thermal design and analysis process
- Proficiency in at least one modern programming language, such as Python or C/C++
- Attractive compensation and generous benefits package (100% Medical, 50% Vision and Dental)
- Company 401(k) match up to 6% of salary
- Paid company snacks and after-hour meals
- Unlimited Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Gym reimbursement program
- 529 savings plan
- Commuter benefits
At Metropolis, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, our customers, and our community. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. If you’re good at what you do, come as you are. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.