On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the role
Our product managers set the vision for our growing family of products. Every day we solve incredibly hard problems to create surprising and delightful experiences for our customers and policyholders. We’re responsible for guiding multidisciplinary teams toward a common goal: shipping high quality products and features on time.
As a Senior Product Manager, you will own the strategy and roadmap for launching Metromile’s pay-per-mile insurance across the nation. Metromile is currently in eight states, and looking for a product manager to lead us through our nationwide expansion. Reporting to the Director of Product, this position will work closely with the teams in insurance, design, engineering, sales and customer service.
- Partner with engineering, insurance, legal, claims and customer service stakeholders to design and build out a new platform that enables rapid state expansion.
- Craft a bold strategy, process and roadmap for launching new states in a timely, but scalable manner.
- Create use cases, prioritize feature requirements, and provide clear feature benefits with proper detail for engineering
- Inspire and drive work across many cross-functional teams in Metromile.
- Balance diverse perspectives and empower teams to do great work
- Drive execution through research, documentation, design, development, and testing
- 5+ years professional work experience
- 3+ years product experience
- Experience building out internal platforms or tools
- Familiarity with API documentation
- Experience developing API documentation a plus
- Proven track record of partnering with engineering stakeholders
- Possess a technical or product management background
- Very strong execution skills able to take seemingly vague questions and translate them into clear, achievable objectives
- Proven experience and passion for building highly successful and innovative consumer web products
- Deep understanding of user research and empathy for users
- Experience working with cross-functional teams (design, engineering, data science, business development, marketing)
- Love working with data you possess a proven ability to quantitatively analyze product concepts, strategic opportunities, and competitive threats based on data
- Self-motivated, with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- BA / BS or equivalent experience.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the role. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
If you are offered a position with Metromile, Inc. you will be required to successfully complete a background check. Metromile reserves the right to seek clarification of any alerts regarding your background check in order to confirm eligibility for employment.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.