On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the Staff Accountant role
Metromile is seeking a versatile Staff Accountant to join its exceptional finance team based out of our San Francisco office. The Staff Accountant will report to the Senior Accounting Manager and will work closely with other team members around the company. To be successful in this role, you must have a working knowledge of GAAP, accounting processes, and systems.
You must also have the ability to interact with all levels of management and cross-functional teams, as well as be able to operate effectively in a rapidly scaling, dynamic environment. We are looking for someone who is organized, self-motivated, has excellent problem solving skills, and enjoys working with people in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
- Prepare journal entries and account reconciliations to ensure the integrity of account balances; research and propose resolutions for identified issues or discrepancies
- Assist in month end close activities and calculations including prepaid rent, corporate credit card, and fixed assets
- Review and process employee expense reports through Expensify
- Manage accounts payable including reviewing invoices, processing the weekly check run, and making wire/ACH payments
- Own accounts receivable subledger including creating accounts receivable invoices, entering into accounting system and monitoring timely collection of AR balances
- Act as support to the team including operating as a backup for accounting operations including payroll, accounts payable and other areas
- Assist with compliance activities such as state escheatment reporting and statutory insurance filings
- Participate in SOX controls implementation
- Work with external consultants and accounting firms on financial, statutory, and tax audits
- Cross-train and support other team members as necessary
- Public accounting, CPA candidate, or relevant industry experience is a plus
- 2+ years in an accounting role preferred
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with the ability to effectively interact with various functional groups throughout the company
- Superb verbal and written communication skills across levels
- Accountable and takes ownership of solving problems and delivering high-quality timely output on assignments
- Ability to adapt to change, manage multiple projects, and work in a fast-paced and high volume environment with an emphasis on timeliness and precision
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, journal entries, reconciliations, and financial reporting
- Detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy; have strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Strong technology-based acumen including intermediate Excel skills
- Experience in Intacct software preferred
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Restricted stock units for all employees
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K - with employer match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the role. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.