On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the role
The Legal team at Metromile works closely with our business partners across the company to provide advice and counsel to help navigate the legal landscape in both the tech and insurance industries. Legal includes the legal, regulatory, compliance, and claims litigation functions for the organization. We are a fast-paced team, lean but growing, that cares deeply about our products as well as our internal clients and external customers.
The Corporate Paralegal role will support the legal, regulatory, compliance attorneys and assist with the provision of a wide variety of legal services to Metromile’s growing organization. The role requires expertise in organizing information and drafting guidance documents for corporate litigation, contract review, insurance regulatory compliance, employment law compliance and privacy law compliance. The role will also require developing relationships with various business unit contacts and managing projects to completion with guidance from the Head of Legal.
- Provide legal support for attorneys, the compliance team and other internal stakeholders
- Support the development of internal processes to manage corporate, insurance regulatory, employment and privacy requirements
- Maintain filing records, compile information, provide support for regulatory filings and licensing requirements, including responsibility for periodic reporting
- Collaborate on team initiatives and other special projects
- Provide general administrative support to the legal team, while interacting cross-functionally with claims, other groups and outside counsel
- A minimum of 4+ years as a paralegal, legal assistant, or assistant paralegal in a law firm or in-house environment
- B.S. or B.A. from an accredited university if less than the minimum number of years experience
- Experience with corporate, litigation, contract, employment and/or regulatory compliance support
- The ability to spot issues and articulate plans to address them and organize work product
- Attention to detail, strong sense of accountability and ownership of projects, and reliability
- High emotional intelligence and collaborative approach with both business and legal groups, with strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility, and partner with others
- Flexibility to perform in rapidly changing and growing environments
- Proficiency with key tools, including ability to create/use Google and Word documents, Spreadsheets, Google Drive, and willingness to learn new technical tools to help the team
Nice to Haves
- Insurance background
- Paralegal certificate and notary public
- Experience working in a technology startup environment
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Restricted stock units for all employees
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K - with employer match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the role. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.