On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
About the role
Every day we solve incredibly hard problems to create surprising and delightful experiences for our users. We’re responsible for guiding multidisciplinary teams toward a common goal: shipping high quality products and features on time.
As part of the telematics team, we are responsible for innovating and bringing new sensors and sources of data to reinvent modern insurance. Our platform processes IoT data at scale to extract insights in real time to power the most innovative insurance product in the world.
The Telematics team at Metromile pride ourselves on using the latest technologies to help solve complex business problems and provide our users with the best insurance experience. If you join us on our journey to build an industry-leading mobile experience you’ll have the opportunity to explore technologies like Kotlin, Kotlin/Native, and the latest tools that Android has to offer. You’ll collaborate with the Mobile Platform Team to ensure the SDK not only has feature parity but follows similar architectural principles. This includes working on iOS as well as Android. You’ll work closely with Product and Design to ensure we’re following the best practices for the Android Platform.
- Build amazing mobile experiences using the latest technologies (e.g. Kotlin/Native, Reaktive)
- Design, build and maintain telematic sdk on our mobile app
- Be responsible for releasing/integrating the Telematics Android SDK with other applications
- Have the opportunity to work on features on both Android and iOS
- Be responsible for the team using the latest and greatest technologies available
- Be autonomous, able to be search out solutions to a well-defined problem
- Be ready to mentor fellow co-workers on best practices
- Work closely with Product Management and Design to help define the future of our Android mobile experience
- 5+ years of professional experience with a strong preference in multidisciplinary environments
- Familiarity with modern mobile frameworks (Rx, analytics, etc) and tools (Gradle, Maven)
- Experience with Android application development (Java, Kotlin)
- Experience with Android OS core APIs:
- Knowledge of synthetic monitoring/transactions
- Familiarity with integrating with native mapping applications
Nice to Have
- Familiarity with CI/CD, and distribution techniques in shipping a mobile SDK
- Knowledge of official Google and Android tooling to SDK
- Experience with unit testing (i.e., robolectric) or physical device testing/simulation techniques
- Familiarity with functional and reactive programming concepts
- Familiarity with iOS development
- Active participation in Open Source projects
- Work with annotation-based code generation
- Profiling techniques
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary
- Stock options for every employee
- Excellent benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401K- with employer match)
- Well-being reimbursement, includes home office equipment
- Flexible paid vacation program
- Flexible scheduling/hours
- Remote work options
- 13 paid holidays - 2 of which are flex
- 12 paid weeks of leave for child birth/adoption
- Annual anniversary gifts (5 yr. - 6 week paid sabbatical)
If you got to this point, we hope you're feeling excited about the role. Even if you don't feel that you meet every single requirement, we still encourage you to apply. We're eager to meet people that believe in Metromile’s mission and can contribute to our team in a variety of ways – not just candidates who check all the boxes.
Metromile is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture at all levels. We nurture a sense of community by investing in one another’s unique backgrounds and experiences to drive business success and positively influence our services and products.
Metromile is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of age, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or expression (including against any individual that is transitioning, has transitioned, or is perceived to be transitioning), marital status or civil partnership/union status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth, genetic information, military, and veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.