Metromile is a leading digital insurance platform in the United States. With data science as its foundation, Metromile offers real-time, personalized auto insurance policies by the mile, instead of the industry-standard approximations and estimates that have historically made prices unfair. Metromile’s digitally native offering is built around the modern driver’s needs, featuring automated claims, complimentary smart driving features and annual average savings of 47% over what they were paying their previous auto insurer.
In addition, through Metromile Enterprise, it licenses its technology platform to insurance companies around the world. This cloud-based software as a service enables carriers to operate with greater efficiency, automate claims to expedite resolution, reduce losses associated with fraud, and unlock the productivity of employees.
Thanks to what makes us different -- our people and our technology -- we’ve been honored with a slew of awards. A few recent ones include: named a Benzinga “Best Insurtech” finalist, a Top Company to Work For, one of the Healthiest Employers in Phoenix, and a Best Place to Work. And, our CEO was recognized as a 2020 40 under 40.
For more information about Metromile, visit www.metromile.com and enterprise.metromile.com
About the role
Metromile recently launched a new B2B business venture, Metromile Enterprise, to license its proprietary AI platform to insurance companies in the US and across the globe. We are looking for a Senior / Staff Data Scientist to join the team developing and launching cutting-edge ML models solving some of the most challenging problems in the personal and commercial insurance industry . This role will touch all parts of the ML model lifecycle from R&D of new product opportunities, to proof-of-concepts with potential clients, to launching and monitoring the systems that let our models power business decisions in real time.
If you are excited by the opportunity to explore diverse data sources, build a wide range of models, and collaborate with technical and non-technical team members and stakeholders, we’d love to hear from you!
- Play a major role in our mission to enable insurance companies to offer great customer experiences to the average American consumer at the industry’s lowest cost. For example, one of our forays in insurance fraud detection using ML, directly tackles fraud in the US insurance industry. Insurance Fraud is a $40B problem and costs the average U.S. family $400-$700 per year in the form of increased premiums. Our models help solve this problem, along with many other challenges in this industry.
- Work with a small and focused team of experienced data scientists who are passionate about learning and using new technologies
- Own end-to-end data science projects from discovery and exploration through to implementation of models in production
- Partner with Product and Product Consulting to bring new products to clients, integrate products into clients’ existing processes, and ensure client success and satisfaction
- Work at all scales, from rapidly developed proof-of-concepts to models powering multi-billion dollar insurance organizations
- Maintain the highest standards in code quality, statistical rigor, and fairness-transparency in machine learning
- 3+ years experience modeling high-dimensional data for both regression and classification tasks
- Ability to communicate ML concepts without jargon to a variety of audiences
- Proficiency with SQL for writing efficient queries on large datasets
- Proficiency in Python in both a scientific and software engineering setting
- Prior experience with at least one of the following: Time series / telematics, NLP, Survival modeling, Deep learning / reinforcement learning and/ or infrastructure development to support data and/or scoring pipelines
- Prior experience spinning up new ML product / projects from scratch
- Prior experience within the fintech, insurtech, or autonomous vehicle space
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K - with employer match)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.