On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an Insurtech powered by data science and customer centric-design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Named by the Arizona Republic on its 2020 Best Companies to Work For in Arizona ranking, as well as the 2019 Phoenix Business Journal Best Companies to Work For ranking.
About the role
The Sr. Manager, Strategic Finance plays a vital role in operational decision support. This role will report to our VP, Strategic Finance and will be a key business partner to our Claims and Customer Experience leadership. This person will also be responsible for the overall sourcing and fulfillment strategy for our hardware solutions. This role requires a highly motivated professional who is excited to make a significant impact and is comfortable working with senior leaders and cross-functional teams.
- Prepare month-end / quarter-end reporting and analyze financial performance, KPIs, and developing trends in relation to business goals
- Partner with senior leaders across the business to develop operational business plans, prepare financial projections, and execute key priorities
- Develop comprehensive financial models with an integrated set of assumptions and operational metrics
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative analysis to support strategic decisions and mitigate business risk
- Continuously improve processes, controls, data sources, and systems to support business growth and build a scalable infrastructure
- Manage all hardware procurement and inventory workstreams and developing strategic supplier relationships that will ensure best value delivery
- Oversee all fulfillment activities for our hardware component and develop supplier scorecards to track SLA compliance
- Represent the operational aspect of hardware and telematics strategies at new product development and innovation project core team meetings
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, including Claims, Customer Experience, People Operations, Product Management, and Engineering to ensure strong communication and alignment and drive accountability for key results
- 7+ years of experience in Finance or Accounting
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, or related field; MBA a plus
- Substantial knowledge of corporate finance concepts and FP&A best practices, including forecasting, business analytics, financial modeling, and KPI tracking
- Experience in creating frameworks for evaluating investment decisions and performing portfolio and account level profitability analysis
- Strong analytical skills, detail-oriented and proficient in building and handling complicated data sets
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels and present results highlighting strategic impact
- Must be highly motivated, self-driven, extremely proactive, with the ability to move projects forward independently
- Demonstrated ability to deal with ambiguity and complexity
- Excellent time management, prioritization, and problem-solving skills
- Advanced Excel skills required, SQL knowledge a plus
- Experience in Insurance or Financial Services industry a plus
What’s in it for you
- Highly competitive salary plus equity
- Excellent benefits package (Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k)
- Generous PTO package
- Flexible monthly well-being stipend
- Rare opportunity to be part of a San Francisco-based tech company growing in Arizona
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.