On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
About the role:
Metromile is looking for an Actuarial Analyst to join our growing team in San Francisco. As an Actuarial Analyst, you will help evolve the insurance product and perform analysis for assigned states.
- Analyzes pricing impact for implementation of new limits, programs, product launches and loss mitigation strategies
- Handles real-time coverage changes determines pricing impact, evaluates modifications to case reserving practices and implements required changes
- Maintains financial models to test, validate and monitor actuarial findings
- Works with Financial Infrastructure team to automate and enhance weekly/monthly reports
- Primary contact for Data Science and Analytics for claims and exposure data
- Ad hoc work and support for the actuarial team as needed
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and strong quantitative, analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Must have ability to generate quality work product under tight deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Must be willing to embrace change and show flexibility in assignments and the work environment
- Must demonstrate problem-solving skills
- Moderate Excel skills and ability in relational databases Access and SQL Server
- 1 CAS Exams required
- 1+ years of Property and Casualty actuarial experience Private Passenger Auto experience a plus
- BA/BS in Math, Statistics, Economics, or related field
- Strong Excel and SQL skills; experience with Python\R and an interest in coding/automation preferred
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.