On the off chance, you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Director, Insurance Product Management to join our team. This position is based in San Francisco, Cleveland or Tempe but we are open to looking for a remote employee as well. In this role, you will be innovating our insurance product, building processes from scratch, and helping to evolve our insurance product. We want someone who has the ability to think holistically about the Metromile insurance product--and wants to invent smarter ways to manage risk.
The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys a challenge, and thrives in a small, fast-paced environment. Strong problem solving is a must, as well as ability to work under deadlines. You are not afraid of changes or getting your hands dirty. And most importantly, you want to take your career to the next level. This position reports to the VP of Insurance.
- Have profit and loss responsibility for your scope of responsibility (for example, California Auto)
- Develop a comprehensive strategy that positions Metromile’s insurance products to meet clients' needs, build company revenues, and outperform competitors.
- Partner across various functional groups to ensure we achieve our company objectives.
- Identify market solutions, and support new product initiatives for teams across Metromile.
- Lead the implementation of strategic insurance product plans and track the performance.
- Participate in the establishment of department goals and for implementing procedures and performance standards to achieve these goals.
- Recognize opportunities to apply solutions in products to enhance company wide performance.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Math/Actuarial Science or related field of study (e. g., Statistics)
- Minimum of 7-years related experience with proven leadership experience
- Ability to analyze, develop and manage strategies to penetrate competitor markets
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (oral and written) with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations
- Strong influencing, persuasion skills used to gain support and commitment from others
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills to identify key levers and priorities.
Nice to Haves:
- MBA or Master's degree
- Five years of product management experience within the property and casualty insurance industry including two or more years in a supervisory or lead role.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of personal lines insurance, products and features, competition and competitive market conditions.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Generous parental leave
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.