On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer centric-design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Named a Glassdoor Best Place to Work two years in a row, our CEO consistently has a 95+ percent approval rating; nearly 90% say they’d recommend Metromile to a friend.
About the role
As a Staff Software Engineer, DevOps at Metromile you will help keep the engines running at top efficiency. Our stack of Linux, Java, Nginx serve all the requests all the time in millisecond response time. You will strive to make our batch jobs finish before they start. Our developers will love you for giving them the tools to deploy new microservice projects every other week at the touch of a button.
- 7+ Years using Linux/Ubuntu/Debian/RedHat.
- Strong knowledge with AWS and some of their 3 letter services.
- Experience with Docker and container orchestration.
- Experience with major configuration management tools like Salt, Ansible, Puppet or CFEngine.
- Experience with scripting languages like Python or Bash.
- Experience standing up and administering monitoring and metrics tools like Nagios, Sensu, Graphite, Datadog, etc.
- Experience with continuous integration servers like Jenkins.
- Experience with Mysql, Postgres, DynamoDB and interests in Aurora.
- Familiarity with Linux internals.
- Ability to mentor junior team members
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, Statistics or Math, or equivalent work experience.
- A passion for learning new things.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.