On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer centric-design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Named a Glassdoor Best Place to Work two years in a row, our CEO consistently has a 95+ percent approval rating; nearly 90% say they’d recommend Metromile to a friend.
About the role
Metromile recently launched a new B2B business venture, Metromile Enterprise, to license its proprietary AI platform to insurance companies in the US and across the globe. We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer to wear multiple hats as a player and a mentor. If you are passionate about high-caliber software development teams to make a large impact in a fast-paced environment, we would like to talk to you!
- Mentor a team of software engineers for professional development
- Provide technical oversight to build reliable and easily maintainable application infrastructure
- Help architect a modular and easily maintainable application infrastructure using sensible and appropriate technologies
- Design and build new features into the Metromile enterprise platform, actively participate in code reviews, and deliver high-quality systems
- Collaborate closely with product and design teams to understand the needs of our users and develop solutions that serve those needs
- 5+ years of hands-on development experience working on consumer-facing products
- Deep knowledge of Java
- Experience with technologies such as SpringBoot, Gradle, Groovy, Python
- Experience working Docker
- Experience with public cloud(s) (AWS, GCP or Azure)
- Knowledge of relational (Postgres) and non-relational databases
- Experience with taking products from conception to launch through the entire life-cycle of software design, implementation, testing and operations
- Highly collaborative and passionate about mentorship and leadership
Nice to Have :
- Experience with Angular, React, Vue or other modern component-based frameworks
- Experience working with Kubernetes
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through production launch
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Transportation and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Social events
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.