On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer centric-design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Named a Glassdoor Best Place to Work two years in a row, our CEO consistently has a 95+ percent approval rating; nearly 90% say they’d recommend Metromile to a friend.
About the role:
Metromile is on the cusp of implementing a new data warehousing solution, to help build the next generation of Data & Analytics platform. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn a lot and grow your career, while working in the cutting-edge space of using Telematics data to drive Insurance decisions.
Metromile is seeking an experienced Data Engineer with proven experience in designing data ingestion pipelines to join our Data & Analytics team. This role would contribute to the vision for data infrastructure and business intelligence tools, architect table schemas and data storage, upgrade our existing data infrastructure, implement new data engineering solutions, and work to gather and store new data from across the company to power our decision making processes.
This role would work predominantly with the Analysts, SME’s and other data engineers on the team, but would also allow for opportunities to architect how data is managed across the entire company, giving qualified candidates the chance to be involved in a large variety of projects. Because of the important role that data plays in making decisions within the company, this role is at the critical intersection of driving the future of our business while also ensuring that day-to-day operations continue to be successful.
- Design data models, data ingestion pipelines and implement scalable ETL / ELT processes.
- Collaborate with partners across business functions to define, implement and maintain vital business metrics.
- Architect database, data integration processes and table optimizations.
- Engage in self-driven investigation into new and upcoming technologies/techniques for data management and retrieval.
- Support design and configuration of touch point/experimentation systems (Segment, Mixpanel, Optimizely, etc.)
- Take ownership of data replication strategy (MySQL, Postgres etc) and use solutions like StitchData or Fivetran.
- Own implementation of Enterprise Container Platforms like Docker.
- Own configuration driven platforms (e.g. Airflow).
- 3-5+ years professional experience.
- Experience with toolsets available in the Cloud (AWS / Azure / GCP etc) used for Data Storage, Ingestion.
- Possess expertise in designing data ingestion pipelines.
- Strong software development fundamentals in Java and Python for building and shipping production data pipelines.
- Expert knowledge of databases, specifically relational (e.g. SQL), column store (e.g. Redshift/Snowflake). Experience with unstructured (HBase/Cassandra) is a nice to have.
Nice to have:
- Experience with storage and processing of sensor data (for example GPS time series) from external systems.
- Some familiarity with data serialization formats such as json, avro, and protobuf is a nice to have.
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.