On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer-centric design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Named a Glassdoor Best Place to Work two years in a row, our CEO consistently has a 95+ percent approval rating; nearly 90% say they’d recommend Metromile to a friend.
About the role
Metromile is looking for an Actuary to join our growing team in San Francisco. As an Actuary who is focused on growth and profitability, you will invent and implement initiatives that lead to better conversion, help curb fraud, improve customer retention, and hit loss ratio targets. You will help evolve the insurance product and perform analysis for assigned states.
- Analyzes pricing impact for implementation of new limits, programs, product launches and loss mitigation strategies
- Handles real-time coverage changes determines pricing impact, evaluates modifications to case reserving practices and implements required changes
- Reviews, summarizes, and distributes monthly/quarterly loss runs and outside actuarial reports to Risk and Finance Executives
- Develops and maintains financial models to test, validate and monitor actuarial findings
- Works with Financial Infrastructure team to automate and enhance weekly/monthly reports
- Primary contact for Finance Team on monthly insurance costs, monthly and quarterly financial close items and insurance forecasting
- Primary contact for Data Science and Analytics for claims and exposure data
- Ad hoc pricing, risk modeling, and traditional actuarial work
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and strong quantitative, analytical and interpersonal skills
- Must have ability to generate quality work product under tight deadlines in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Must be willing to embrace change and show flexibility in assignments and the work environment
- Must demonstrate project management and problem-solving skills
- Strong ability to interact with management
- Moderate Excel skills and ability in relational databases Access and SQL Server
- Associate of the Casualty Actuarial Society (ACAS) designation preferred; successful completion of 5 or more exams towards the ACAS designation required
- Minimum of 4 years of Property and Casualty actuarial experience Private Passenger Auto experience
- 1+ years of experience with the direct supervision of employees preferred
- A/BS in Math, Statistics, Economics, or similar
- Experience with auto pricing and reserving experience required
- Very Strong Excel and SQL skills; experience with R, or Python and an interest in coding/automation preferred
- Great communication and presentation skills
- Extremely detail oriented and highly organized
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.