On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer centric-design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Named a Glassdoor Best Place to Work two years in a row, our CEO consistently has a 95+ percent approval rating; nearly 90% say they’d recommend Metromile to a friend.
About the role
As the Engineering Manager, you’ll wear multiple hats as a player and a coach. You’ll lead a full-stack software engineering team, scaling and developing it as the company grows. You will work closely with key business stake-holders to help define product strategy, goals and plan work to deliver highly-impactful products. You will be a hands-on engineering manager with a strong technical background in delivering reliable systems that are designed for large-scale. If you are passionate about building high-caliber software development teams to make a large impact in a fast-paced environment, we would like to talk to you!
- Manage and mentor a team of software engineers for professional development
- Collaborate with product management, designers and other engineering groups to define product vision and deliver strong customer-focused experiences
- Provide technical oversight to build reliable and easily maintainable application infrastructure
- Design and build new features into the Metromile platform, actively participate in code reviews, and deliver high-quality systems
- Actively contribute to team and company standards
- Partner with recruiting to hire and grow the talent in the engineering team
- 7+ years of hands-on development experience working on consumer-facing products
- 5+ years experience managing software engineering teams
- Solid knowledge of data structures and algorithms and excellent programming skills
- Experience with taking products from conception to launch through the entire life-cycle of software design, implementation, testing and operations
- Highly collaborative and passionate about mentorship and leadership
Nice to Haves:
- Knowledge of public cloud environments such as AWS
- Knowledge on services deployment architecture
- Familiarity with frameworks such as SpringBoot, Maven and Swagger
- Knowledge of storage and messaging systems (PostgreSQL, MySQL, S3, SQS)
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.