Metromile is the leading pay-per-mile car insurance company in the U.S. We’re disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category by offering an entirely new type of insurance that charges customers based on the miles they drive. We believe paying for what you use is more fair and more affordable. With pay-per-mile car insurance, low-mileage drivers see huge savings. We also believe in the power of data science and machine learning to make car insurance better and less complicated.
We're proud to say that Metromile has been named on Glassdoor's Best Place to Work in their 2018 Employees' Choice Awards list for the second year in a row!
About the Role
The Director of Engineering will be part of the Engineering Leadership team and focused on growing our organization. Not only will you build and motivate a high performing team of engineers, you’ll also interact with and inform the Executive Leadership team. The Director of Engineering is instrumental in assisting with scaling of system implementations, processes, and customer implementations, allowing Metromile to operationalize teams over the next couple of years. This role reports directly to the Chief Technology Officer.
- Attract new talent as you scale the team to meet the needs of the business
- Develop and inspire the team to achieve maximum productivity and optimal creativity
- Partner with the leadership team to develop product strategy and roadmap
- Build out Metromile to scale: delivering a flexible, secure, and resilient architecture and platform
- Develop services in support of Policy Management and Pricing; make those services reusable by other platforms and in product
- Initiate, develop and roll-out best in class engineering practices including CI/CD, domain driven design, agile, disaster recovery etc.
- Work closely with internal teams (project/product) to ensure the product meets business objectives
- Drive results through your personal involvement and direct leadership
- Leverage metrics to assess effectiveness
- Communicate successes illustrating the business value of delivered capabilities
- Work with executive leadership to set expectations and manage risks, dependencies and tradeoffs inevitable in complex project delivery
- BS or equivalent in Computer Science
- 12+ years of progressive, Engineering experience.
- 5+ years managing and leading teams.
- Experience leading large B2B or Consumer e-Commerce engineering teams
- Experience driving e-Commerce optimization
- Experience transitioning from legacy systems to new
- Ability to attract talent and to develop and inspire high performing teams
- Strong influence, negotiation and communication skills
- Ability to manage executive stakeholders
- Drive and Passion
Nice to Haves:
- Experience managing through agile transformations is a plus
- Ability to mentor Software Engineering Managers and foster an environment of growth
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Company sponsored events and a fully stocked kitchen
- Rare opportunity to be part of a San Francisco-based startup growing in Boston
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.