On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer centric-design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Named a Glassdoor Best Place to Work two years in a row, our CEO consistently has a 95+ percent approval rating; nearly 90% say they’d recommend Metromile to a friend.
About the role
At Metromile, the Developer Productivity Team is responsible for building the tools and frameworks that empower developers to deploy their changes to production with highest quality and efficiency. The team is responsible for systems including CI/CD build deployment pipelines, frameworks for automation testing, system resiliency & performance testing, and tools and methodologies to train the developers for deploying services to the cloud. Our work directly impacts the engineering team’s ability to keep pace with growth and scalability goals.
We are looking for a Senior DevOps Manager who has experience and background leading teams in the areas of DevOps, developer productivity, release management, automation and operations. We are a small team right now, but have ambitious goals for the future of service deployment and it is the perfect time for someone to come in and influence the vision for the team.
- Lead the development of tools and frameworks including continuous integration/continuous delivery pipelines and automation testing framework
- Collaborate with key leads across the organization to capture feedback and plan work
- Mentor and manage professional development of a team of 4 engineers
- 7+ years hands-on development in the areas of DevOps, release and operations
- 5+ years experience managing DevOps teams
- Familiarity with deployment tools including Git, Jenkins, Bitbucket, Docker
- Knowledgeable in automation frameworks such as TestNG
- Strong understanding of public cloud environments such as AWS
- Familiarity with monitoring tools such as StatsD, Graphana and Splunk
Nice to Haves:
- Knowledge on services deployment architecture
- Familiarity with frameworks such as SpringBoot, Maven and Swagger
- Experience with load, performance and system resiliency testing tools and frameworks
- Knowledge of storage and messaging systems (PostgreSQL, MySQL, S3, SQS)
- Familiarity with production deployment methodologies including dark mode, blue/green deployments
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.