Metromile is the leading pay-per-mile car insurance company in the U.S. We’re disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category by offering an entirely new type of insurance that charges customers based on the miles they drive. We believe paying for what you use is more fair and more affordable. With pay-per-mile car insurance, low-mileage drivers see huge savings. We also believe in the power of data science and machine learning to make car insurance better and less complicated.
We're proud to say that Metromile has been named on Glassdoor's Best Place to Work in their 2018 Employees' Choice Awards list for the second year in a row!
About the role
Metromile is seeking a Data Scientist to work with partners from across our company to support and grow our business. Your modeling will draw on data resources from connected vehicles, model & web analytics data to predict key customer outcomes affecting car insurance such as claims, customer lifetime, and pricing decisions. If you are excited by the opportunity to explore diverse data sources in a collaborative and dynamic environment with a strong product focus then we’d love to hear from you.
Our company fundamentally turns on the modeling and understanding of risk and behavior, your work will directly drive our success. Data is not an ‘adjunct’ of our business, you will be at the very core of who we are and how we win
- Work with a diverse team of M.S. and Ph.D. level data scientists who enjoy learning new methodologies at our weekly data science seminar
- Own end-to-end data science projects from the discovery & exploration phase through to implementation of models in production
- Monitor the performance of your models prior to and following their release
- Track the impact of your work on our business
- Partner with core business functions (including engineering) to articulate and reach the right outcomes that incorporate business requirements with best-in-class data science principles & practices
- Use your models to influence business decisions across the business and gain support from executive leadership
- Degree in computer science. Advanced degrees are preferred. Degrees from a related fields like statistics, economics, applied math, operations research, physics or engineering also suitable.
- Prior experience modeling high-dimensional data for both regression and classification tasks
- Proficiency with SQL for writing efficient queries on large datasets
- Proficiency with Python, or another interpreted programming language like R
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and ability to collaborate with cross-functional partners to build the business
- Your prior experience was within the fintech, insurtech, or autonomous vehicle space
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.