Metromile is the leading pay-per-mile car insurance company in the U.S. We’re disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category by offering an entirely new type of insurance that charges customers based on the miles they drive. We believe paying for what you use is more fair and more affordable. With pay-per-mile car insurance, low-mileage drivers see huge savings. We also believe in the power of data science and machine learning to make car insurance better and less complicated.
We're proud to say that Metromile has been named on Glassdoor's Best Place to Work in their 2018 Employees' Choice Awards list for the second year in a row!
About the role
Our team is building the technology behind the revolutionary, AI powered, automated Claims Assistant, AVA. You will be working closely with data scientists, adjusters, product management and mobile app engineers to understand how to use technologies such as telematics and gps to create the best-in-class claims experience for our customers. Our team also ideates and innovates solutions to reduce fraud. If you’re a backend engineer who loves to break down monoliths and build microservices, and at the same time enjoys product innovation through technology, we want to talk to you!
- Design and develop highly reliable and scalable microservices and event streams
- Collaborate closely with other backend engineers to architect solutions that cut across microservices, AWS based technologies and 3rd party softwares
- Work with development operations and systems engineers to instrument the services for efficient deployments and high availability monitoring
- Facilitate quality by writing tests and participating in code reviews
- 3+ years of hands-on software development experience
- Experience with Restful APIs, event queues and messaging systems
- Proficient with one or more languages such as Java, Python and C#
- Experience with relational databases and key value stores such as MySQL, PostgreSQL and DynamoDB
- Experience with cloud-based technologies such as AWS or Google cloud services
Nice to Haves:
- Hands-on development experience working on consumer-facing products
- Strong understanding of scalable and flexible distributed systems
- Experience with 3rd party enterprise software and service-oriented architectures
- Familiarity with tools and frameworks such as SprintBoot, Docker, TestNG, Splunk, StatsD and Graphana
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Transportation and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Social events
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.