Metromile is the leading pay-per-mile car insurance company in the U.S. We’re disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category by offering an entirely new type of insurance that charges customers based on the miles they drive. We believe paying for what you use is more fair and more affordable. With pay-per-mile car insurance, low-mileage drivers see huge savings. We also believe in the power of data science and machine learning to make car insurance better and less complicated.
We're proud to say that Metromile has been named on Glassdoor's Best Place to Work in their 2018 Employees' Choice Awards list for the second year in a row!
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Insurance Product Manager to join our growing team in San Francisco! In this role, you will be innovating our insurance product, building processes from scratch, and helping to evolve our insurance product. We want someone who has the ability to think holistically about the Metromile insurance product--and wants to invent smarter ways to manage risk.
The ideal candidate is someone who enjoys a challenge, and thrives in a small, fast-paced environment. Strong problem solving is a must, as well as ability to work under deadlines. You are not afraid of changes or getting your hands dirty. And most importantly, you want to take your career to the next level. This position reports to the Chief Insurance Officer.
- Have profit and loss responsibility for your scope of responsibility (for example, California Auto)
- Develop a comprehensive strategy that positions Metromile’s insurance products to meet clients' needs, build company revenues, and outperform competitors.
- Partner across various functional groups to ensure we achieve our company objectives.
- Identify market solutions, and support new product initiatives for teams across Metromile.
- Lead the implementation of strategic insurance product plans and track the performance.
- Participate in the establishment of department goals and for implementing procedures and performance standards to achieve these goals.
- Recognize opportunities to apply solutions in products to enhance company wide performance.
- Bachelor's degree in Economics, Finance, Math/Actuarial Science or related field of study (e. g., Statistics)
- Minimum of 5 years related experience with proven leadership experience
- Ability to analyze, develop and manage strategies to penetrate competitor markets
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (oral and written) with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations
- Strong influencing, persuasion skills used to gain support and commitment from others
- Ability to apply critical thinking skills to identify key levers and priorities.
Nice to Haves:
- MBA or Master's degree
- Five years of product management experience within the property and casualty insurance industry to including two or more years in a supervisory or lead role.
- Demonstrated comprehensive knowledge of personal lines of insurance, products and features, competition and competitive market conditions.
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.