On the off chance you've thought about insurance, it's likely because you've insured something you love, not because you loved your insurance company. Metromile is out to change that. As an insurtech powered by data science and customer centric-design, we’re building a community of drivers who come for the savings and stay for the experience.
With technology at its core, Metromile is reimagining insurance to make it fairer and actually delightful. We’re obsessed with savings, service, and features -- street sweeping alerts, monthly mileage summaries, fuel trackers and more -- that engage a customer all along their journey. We’re on the forefront of disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category that has gone unchanged for over 80 years.
Metromile’s diverse team combines the best of Silicon Valley technologists with veterans from Fortune 500 insurers and financial services giants. This management structure ensures that the business is focused on growth, customer experience and technology innovation while also balancing unit economics and profitability. The team is growing quickly across its San Francisco, Tempe, and Boston offices. Our customer service, claims, and sales teams are all based in-house in the US.
Named a Glassdoor Best Place to Work two years in a row, our CEO consistently has a 95+ percent approval rating; nearly 90% say they’d recommend Metromile to a friend.
About the role
Applying for car insurance involves answering a lot of confusing questions, so our team is working tirelessly to implement a shorter, cleaner, more user-friendly workflow. This new workflow will have a huge impact on our conversion rate, so you would have real impact on both our product and our bottom line. If you’re a seasoned engineer who understands business, enjoys engineering and is looking to quickly ship new full-stack projects, we want to talk to you!
- Work as a part of a small cross-functional team on high-impact projects across the company
- Collaborate closely with product and design teams to understand the needs of our users and develop solutions that serve those needs
- Build robust web applications using modern libraries and tooling
- Facilitate quality by writing unit tests and participating in code reviews
- Help architect a modular and easily maintainable application infrastructure using sensible and appropriate technologies
- 5+ years of hands-on development experience working on consumer-facing products
- Experience working with Java
- Knowledge of relational (MySQL/Postgres) and non-relational databases
Nice to Have :
- Experience with Angular, React, Vue or other modern component-based frameworks
- Experience with Spring or other modern Java frameworks
- Experience with AWS and services built on top of it
- A solid understanding of performance and efficiency concepts.
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through production launch
- A strong customer orientation
What’s in it for you
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Transportation and well-being benefits
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Social events
- Mac equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.