Metromile is the leading pay-per-mile car insurance company in the U.S. We’re disrupting a $250 billion auto insurance category by offering an entirely new type of insurance that charges customers based on the miles they drive. We believe paying for what you use is more fair and more affordable. With pay-per-mile car insurance, low-mileage drivers see huge savings. We also believe in the power of data science and machine learning to make car insurance better and less complicated.
We're proud to say that Metromile has been named on Glassdoor's Best Place to Work in their 2018 Employees' Choice Awards list for the second year in a row!
About the role
Metromile is seeking a Senior Accountant to join its growing team in San Francisco and perform activities related to statutory and reinsurance accounting and financial statement preparation. This position will report to the Senior Accounting Manager and will work closely with other team members within the company. To be successful in this role, you must have strong knowledge of GAAP, Statutory Accounting Principles, accounting processes, controls and systems.
You must also have the ability to interact with all levels of management and cross-functional teams, as well as operate effectively in a rapidly scaling, dynamic environment. We are looking for someone who is organized, self-motivated, has excellent problem-solving skills, and enjoys working with people in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
- Work closely with other members of the accounting department to produce periodic financial statements in compliance with both GAAP and insurance statutory accounting standards, and NAIC quarterly and annual statements (i.e. yellow book)
- Manage the preparation and filings of all state regulatory filings for a 50-state licensed P&C insurance company
- Prepare schedules to support regulatory, statutory, or management reporting to ensure accuracy and timeliness
- Prepare journal entries and account reconciliations to ensure the integrity of account balances
- Prepare detailed period-over-period fluctuation and actual versus budget analyses
- Research and propose a resolution for identified issues or discrepancies
- Analyze processes and procedures; propose and implement enhancements and improvements to scale operations and improve efficiencies
- Document and maintain accounting processes and enhance internal controls
- Maintain accounting compliance by understanding current and proposed US GAAP and insurance statutory regulations and recommend new procedures
- Assist in preparation of interim and annual audits
- Special projects as requested by Manager and/or Controller
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, public accounting or audit experience, CPA preferred
- 4+ years accounting experience
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively with the ability to effectively interact with and influence varying functional groups and business partners at different levels
- Accountable and take ownership of solving problems and delivering high quality timely output on assignments
- Strong knowledge of and experience working with US GAAP and SSAP, journal entries, and reconciliations and financial reporting
- Detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy; have strong analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Strong technology-based acumen, including advanced Excel skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills across levels
Nice to Haves:
- Regulatory exposure, preferably with insurance statutory accounting
What’s In It For You
- Competitive salary plus equity
- Robust benefit options (health, dental, vision, 401K)
- Commuter and well-being benefits
- Generous PTO policy
- Generous parental leave
- Catered lunches and a fully stocked kitchen
- Monthly social events (Movies, game nights, park days, etc.)
- Your choice of Mac or PC equipment and adjustable workstations
Metromile is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.