Method is a global design and engineering consultancy founded in 1999. We believe that innovation should be meaningful, beautiful and human. We craft practical, powerful digital experiences that improve lives and transform businesses. Our teams [based in New York, Charlotte, Atlanta, London, and remote] work with a wide range of organizations in many industries, including Healthcare, Financial Services, Retail, Automotive, Aviation, and Professional Services.
As a Business Development Director, you must be comfortable with selling strategic solutions, not products. All of our services are custom; each client usually has a one-off problem.
Your success rides on the ability to help prospects define and articulate a need for digital innovation. Sometimes you will be working with prospects who have a very explicit request, others may just have vague ideas and need the experts at Method to understand their vision and shape the solution to achieve it.
As a Business Development Director at Method, you have two roles that require different approaches. The first is to identify target clients within your market that do not presently work with Method and build awareness of our capabilities and talents. The goal of building this awareness is to then find problems that Method can solve within those organizations and convert them to clients. This function will also support leads generated by Method, requiring thoughtful qualification and helping to remove barriers to becoming a new customer of Method.
The second role is to become a trusted advisor with existing clients in your market, to develop new project opportunities and to reinforce the partnership that Method has with them. This is a sales role with upselling and cross-selling opportunities, but there will be elements of customer support when needed to help build your advisor relationship.
In either scenario, the business is highly relationship driven. You are competing with in-house teams, vendors with specific products, and offshoring resources. You will need to be top of mind throughout a prospect's organization as a trusted technical advisor. Buying Sustainable Digital Innovation comes with a certain risk tolerance; you need to be able to identify change agents within an organization who are tired of legacy software and the status quo.
You will need to position Method as a partner to solving complex issues to bring our team in on early conversations. Method is most effective when viewed as an expert partner. You will be very effective on projects, giving us a seat at the table defining needs and scope. You cannot be someone waiting to process an order.
Candidates will need to be based in the UK.
To be successful in this role, you will need to:
- Have strong qualification skills and refined ability to differentiate between motivated and non-motivated buyers
- Give back and be involved in the design and technology communities within your region
- Build awareness of Method in your region and find places where Method can support the community at large
- Have a desire to solve problems - not sell a product. Each opportunity is unique.
- Be goal oriented, confident, competitive, thorough and tenacious
- Be seasoned and self-disciplined to work both independently and collaboratively to achieve sales goals
- Immerse yourself in the Method value proposition so that you can easily and creatively position Method as the only catalyst that can do the job right
- Obtain a deep understanding of the customer’s business and not be afraid to share your view, and push client outside their comfort zone
Requirements & Experience:
- Be accustomed to achieving and surpassing a quota, with a proven history of goal achievement
- This role is primarily UK-focused, but expect travel as necessary to meet annual sales quota
- Understand the value of innovative technology and be comfortable using it on at least a consumer level with the ability to communicate about it to prospects
- 5+ years experience developing new business through prospecting
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. Communication and expectation management are the linchpins of successful software development, and it starts in the sales process.
- Understand complex sales cycles
- Excellent problem solving
- Entrepreneurial spirit
Activities of a Business Development Manager:
- Travel and participation in trade shows, relevant industry events, local industry groups, and sales meetings to build awareness of yourself and Method in market
- Generate defined prospect lists/lead sources and pursue contact within those prospect accounts
- Analyze customer needs including current business obstacles; identify opportunities and scope potential service offerings
- Work with prospects leading them through the sales cycle to closure
- Drive requirements gathering for proposals, leveraging internal relationships with developers, marketing, designers, and project managers in closing business
- Address customer issues that arise while delivering an excellent customer experience, alert others as needed
- Maintain knowledge of customer sentiment for account portfolio and achieve high account satisfaction
- Drive new sales opportunities within the account portfolio through expansion of current work or opportunities with new lines of business within the account
- Develop, manage, and report on the sales pipeline within the market to achieve targets
- Accurately maintain and update the customer database/forecasting and account notes in the sales tracking system (Salesforce)
- Proactively maintain ongoing knowledge of industry, customers, target accounts & competitive landscape
We look for individuals who are smart, kind and brave. Curious people with a natural ability to think on their feet, learn fast, and develop points-of-view for a constantly changing world find Method an exciting place to work. Our employees are excited to collaborate with dispersed and diverse teams that bring together the best in thinking and making. We champion the ability to listen, and believe that critique and dissonance lead to better outcomes. We believe everyone has the capacity to lead and look for proactive individuals who can take and give direction, lead by example, enjoy the making as much as they do the thinking, especially at senior and leadership levels.
We believe in work/life balance. Seriously. We offer a ton of competitive perks, including:
- Continuing education opportunities
- Flexible paid time off and work-from-home policies
- Company pension with employer contributions
- Health, Dental and Vision benefits, starting on day one
- Health and wellness programs
If Method sounds like the place for you, please submit an application. Also, let us know if you have a presence online with a blog, Twitter, GitHub, Dribbble or other platform.
* For information on how we process your personal data please see Privacy.
* If you are a UK resident, more details on how we process your personal information can be found in the UK Recruitment Privacy Notice.