MetaProp's portfolio companies represent the world's largest early-stage PropTech portfolio, inclusive of every asset type and value chain across Real Estate. With 125+ PropTech investments to date, we are proud to back some of the most iconic emerging names in this growing space. Our companies have raised more than $2 billion and employ 1,500+ people around the world. Joining a MetaProp NYC portfolio company is a once in a lifetime opportunity to make your mark on the evolution of real estate tech.
Help us grow into an ever-evolving marketplace. Seeking skilled Data Scientist!
WHAT WE DO
Betterview is the only property data platform that informs every transaction for decision-makers who want to reduce risk, cost & waste in an increasingly competitive environment. We provide software and services that capture, organize, and analyze data for buildings and properties to unlock valuable insight. Our company is quickly becoming essential to every transaction by making every property thoroughly understood.
Every day, our team is focused on the needs of our customers. We strive to earn their trust by providing valuable, accurate insight that is important to their businesses. We provide our customers with information that is not only useful to their business decisions but is easy to use. We combine high quality human interactions with sleek, intuitive design and are pioneers on the journey alongside our customers, who are transforming the way they do business with data-driven decision-making.
Betterview’s Machine Vision team maintains an ever-expanding suite of computer vision and other models to detect property conditions and identify risk factors using aerial imagery. As part of the team responsible for creating training datasets and evaluating models after they’ve been trained, Betterview's Data Scientist has many talents related to data collection and model validation on a large scale. If Betterview is looking for more imagery wherein solar panels are on a roof, the Data Scientist is responsible for finding and creating a dataset where every image in the dataset contains a clean example of solar panels. If Betterview is releasing a new model for identifying tarps, the Data Scientist evaluates the available trained model options and selects a candidate for release based on key performance metrics. To accomplish these tasks at scale, the Data Scientist should have automation, scripting, and SQL in their tool kit.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Establish performance metrics and benchmarks that computer vision models must meet based on customer and internal requirements.
- Conduct model validation studies of Betterview’s computer vision models to determine suitability for release to production.
- Use insights from model evaluation in collaboration with machine learning engineers to identify areas of improvement and target features for data collection, then work to collect that data and enrich it into a trainable state.
- Design and maintain dashboarding and reporting of Betterview’s data and models, replete with relevant and meaningful metrics (e.g., size of datasets, model performance).
- Create models using Betterview’s and third-party data to derive insights about property risk.
- Contribute to ideation, design and implementation of Betterview’s suite of analytical products, including but not limited to its computer vision models (e.g., scoring algorithm).
- Serve as representative of the Data Science team as necessary in technical and non-technical discussions with colleagues and customers.
- Evaluate data sources for accuracy and potential to augment Betterview’s existing data catalog.
- Identify issues with existing data, models and processes; propose and implement solutions to resolve issues.
- Update tasks in Jira and keep good notes.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO OUR COMPANY
- Minimum Master’s in Engineering, Statistics, Data Science or related field with 2+ years of work experience, or Bachelor’s with 4+ years of relevant work experience. PhD a plus but not required!
- Ability to translate abstract goals into targeted and technical problem statements, design and run data science experiments to test hypotheses, and synthesize findings to internal and external stakeholders.
- Working style and attitude consistent with the scientific method, e.g., designing/running experiments that can test hypotheses to inform strategy; making decisions based on data and evidence.
- Scripting: Python, Node, or some other language that can be used for scripting and pulling data from APIs and other data sources. We aren’t looking for an enterprise application developer here, just someone who knows enough to get dirty.
- SQL is fairly important here though more at an analyst’s level. Writing stored procs and evaluating query plans is not a requirement here.
- Solid technical and data science foundation.
- Experience in model validation, data collection and/or working with geospatial data in the machine learning space.
The successful candidate:
- A strong analyst’s nose for data issues.
- An excellent communicator that is able to explain deep statistical and mathematical concepts to business representatives effectively.
- Strong initiative, accountability, and a self-starter.
- Agility and comfort pivoting between various workstreams given shift in priorities.
- Comfort making data-driven decisions with incomplete information.
WHAT OUR COMPANY IS PROVIDING
- Compensation commensurate with experience.
- Generous Health benefits – medical, dental and vision.
- Offering Kaiser and Blue Shield
- Providing PPO plans, PPO plans, and HDHP options.
- Betterview covers 50% of employee premium, 10% of dependents
- For dental and vision, Betterview covers 75% of the premium for employees.
- FSA and HSA
- Retirement Plan.
- Betterview matches 100% of employee contributions up to the first 3% of pay, then 50% of employees contributions on the next 2% of pay.
- Paid holidays.
- Charity contribution matches, up to $100.
- Cell phone reimbursement.
- Commuter benefits.
- All employees receive 160 hours per year of paid time off, with accrual every pay period.
- Typically work schedule is Monday – Friday (8:30am-5pm).
Betterview provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetics, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. In addition to federal law requirements, Betterview complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Betterview will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
Betterview will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. If you’re applying for a position in San Francisco, review the guidelines applicable in your area.
Betterview expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Betterview employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please apply directly using the link provided below. No phone calls, please.