Candidates +/- 2 hours GMT, or candidates in EST open to working hours that align with GMT, are welcome to apply.
At MetaLab, we design, build, and ship some of the world’s most beloved products. Founders at early-stage startups hire us to help build businesses from scratch. Leaders at global enterprises hire us to explore new technologies and launch new products.
Our Engineering Directors co-manage a 25-person engineering team. You’ll help us establish and build an engineering presence in Europe to work alongside our EU-based design and product delivery teams. On any given day, you may step up and lead or step back and evaluate how to best support your team. Adaptability, humility, and resourcefulness are table stakes, as no two projects, clients, or developers are alike.
You’ll communicate and collaborate with your engineering peers and other cross-functional teams at MetaLab. You’ll also represent MetaLab in client contexts and public events, so your ability to read a room and articulate with confidence is paramount to your (and our) success. Most importantly, you’ll show undeniable passion for engineering and will thrive in supporting others in achieving their best work.
- Continuously help us shape, test, and refine new ways of delivering impactful products to market
- Collaborate with the Client Partnerships team to pitch engagements to clients
- Assist in scoping out the timeline and requirements of engineering engagements
- Vet, hire, and train new members of the engineering team
- Advocate for engineering internally to make sure the team is set up for success
- Collaborate with the rest of MetaLab’s leadership team to keep company engagement high
- Give constructive feedback, and ensure engineers are evaluated and supported on an ongoing basis
- Foster an open, collaborative, and inclusive environment for the engineering team
- Roll up your sleeves in the work, providing guidance and direction to project teams when needed
- Be active in the engineering community, representing MetaLab and attracting new talent
- Interact with the product and engineering team on a daily basis, and with clients when needed
- Travel to client meetings as needed
The must-have shortlist
- 8+ years as a web or mobile engineer, in addition to 6+ years leading a software development team
- Solid understanding of best in class digital product building process—from start to finish
- Built and shipped successful products
- Strength in leading and mentoring—previously led a team of engineers building products
- Expert-level understanding of software development patterns and opinions on industry best practices
- Enjoys taking complex problems and transforming them into elegant and simple solutions
- Ability to present to clients with credibility, clarity, and confidence
- Not an asshole—please leave your ego at the door
- Leader, listener and mentor for junior engineers
- Knows how to motivate and guide engineers to successful careers
- Wants to work with world-class companies and great teammates to launch products people give a damn about
Equal opportunity employer
Research shows that women and other marginalized groups tend to only apply for a job when they meet every single criteria. Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box? Reach out anyways! We’re an equal opportunity employer and are dedicated to fostering an inclusive and diverse environment for employees from all walks of life. We hire based on talent, and we’re proud of our global perspective.