Metagenomi is a gene editing company committed to developing potentially curative therapeutics by leveraging a proprietary toolbox of next-generation gene editing systems to accurately edit DNA where current technologies cannot. Our metagenomics-powered discovery platform and analytical expertise reveal novel cellular machinery sourced from otherwise unknown organisms. We adapt and forge these naturally evolved systems into powerful gene editing systems that are ultra-small, extremely efficient, highly specific and have a decreased risk of immune response. These systems fuel our pipeline of novel medicines and can be leveraged by partners. Our goal is to revolutionize gene editing for the benefit of patients around the world.
Whether it's the biological diversity of our gene editing systems or the people that help discover them, Metagenomi celebrates the diversity of life. This is achieved through a compassionate culture that acknowledges the dimensions of our diversity. We know that when people feel a sense of inclusion and belonging in the workplace, they have a safe space to bring creativity and innovation to everything they do. We are intentional about building and maintaining a culture where people are valued and respected, there is equity in opportunities, and our respective opinions and differences matter.
We are hiring a Senior Director, Preclinical Programs to lead and advance our in vivo therapeutic program for Hemophilia A. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Preclinical, this role will be primarily committed to advancing this program to the clinic by applying strong technical leadership, and people management skills. In addition, this role will be able to initiate and manage early-stage in vivo programs for other rare inherited diseases.
How you’ll contribute
- Reporting to the SVP Preclinical, lead the Hemophilia A gene editing program to a successful IND application
- Partner with CMC, QC, BD, and the in vivo models team to design and execute IND-enabling studies to meet all regulatory requirements
- Lead interactions with regulatory agencies to support IND study design
- Successfully manage and scale a team of talented scientists and research associates to ensure timely execution and communication of research results with high-quality standards, enabling clear go-no/go decisions and timelines.
- Collaborate with the Chief Medical Officer to understand and plan for clinical translation and establish pre-clinical criteria for development candidate selection
- Present progress updates to key decision-makers, including the executive team, partners, research, and management teams
- Establish scientific standards and set strategic direction and priorities for gene editing strategies
- Collaborate closely with Discovery and Protein Engineering groups to leverage advances in the gene editing platform for future therapeutics
- Provide scientific leadership by proactively advising, sharing knowledge and expert opinions across functions and with senior management
- Work with cross-functional leads to create and execute research strategies
- Anticipate scientific barriers and proactively develops strategies to ensure the successful selection of development candidates
- Oversee the development and execution of assays and studies (efficacy and mechanism of action) to enable the in vivo gene delivery platform and support drug candidate nomination and selection.
- Apply experience and expertise in preclinical development of gene editing drugs to guide in vivo study design.
- Ph.D. in cell/ molecular biology/pharmacology
- Exceptional leadership skills and at least ten years of experience managing senior-level scientists
- Experience in rare inherited diseases with a focus on liver/ metabolic diseases including Hemophilia or other non-malignant hematological disorders
- Demonstrated experience in drug discovery in the gene editing or gene therapy space
- Experience in designing IND enabling studies including Tox and pharmacology studies
- Successful experience writing/reviewing regulatory sections of IND
- In-depth experience managing CROs to achieve nonclinical milestones on time and within budget
- Comprehensive knowledge of the drug development process, including cross-functional integration from animal preclinical POC through Phase I
- Experience in pharmacokinetics, toxicology, and animal pharmacology/monitoring animal studies
- Experience leading and managing partnerships with biopharma
- A transparent, flexible, can-do approach to address issues innovatively and proactively to promote teamwork and a pleasant work environment.
- Outstanding influencing, oral, and written communication skills.
California Pay Transparency Disclosure:
This position is classified as an exempt position under the Federal Labor Standards Act. The anticipated base salary range for this position will be $250K-$270K. You will also be eligible to receive equity, bonuses, and a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits depending on the position offered. Please note that individual total compensation for this position will be determined at the Company’s sole discretion and may vary based on location, skill level, years and depth of relevant experience, and education.
What makes Metagenomi a unique place to work?
- We are passionate about developing technologies derived from microbial-rich ecosystems that have the power to enable therapeutic development and the potential to cure devastating disease.
- We have cultivated an amazing culture that values teamwork, curiosity, scientific rigor, and fun. We have a strong commitment to work/life balance, host a weekly employee happy hour and events, provide catered lunches and endless snacks, and more!
- We offer competitive compensation including a market-benchmarked salary, annual target bonus potential, pre-IPO equity, and a comprehensive benefits plan, including 401(k) with company matching, a retirement safe harbor plan, and other perks.
At Metagenomi, we know that our people drive our success. We are an equal-opportunity employer and believe in and value diversity and inclusion. Metagenomi provides an open, collegial, and friendly work environment where we empower people and provide them with opportunities to develop their long-term careers. Metagenomi does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, age, physical or mental disability, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Applicants/Employees have rights under various State and Federal Employment Laws, including without limitation:
- Family & Medical Leave Act
- Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Employee Polygraph Protection Act
- California Family Rights Act
- California Fair Employment and Housing Act
Notice to agencies: Our in-house Talent Acquisition Team manages all employment opportunities at Metagenomi. Agencies and independent recruiters must be approved as a vendor by Metagenomi’s Talent Acquisition team. To protect the interests of all parties, Metagenomi will not accept unsolicited resumes, profiles, or biographies. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Metagenomi will be considered referrals and the property of Metagenomi.