Software Engineer - Tools & Infrastructure
Mesosphere is dedicated to helping enterprises unlock the next generation of datacenter scale, efficiency and automation with Apache Mesos. Mesosphere’s open source product, the datacenter operating system (DC/OS), is a new kind of operating system that spans the entire datacenter, pools datacenter resources, and automates IT operations. As part of the Tools & Infrastructure team, you will help improve developer productivity by managing the build and release process, as well as building tooling around CI and its related infrastructure.
- The primary area of responsibility will be the Tools & Infrastructure team which owns the build and release tools as well as providing governance and processes to enable developer productivity. It is a dynamic team of 4 Software Engineers in 2 regions supported by a Product Manager and Engineering Manager
- This role will report to the Engineering Manager of Tools & Infrastructure. A Staff Engineer reporting to the Engineering Director will assist the teams and take responsibility for overall technical decisions and architecture, supporting the Engineering Manager
Job responsibilities & duties
- Focus on Developer Velocity
- Work on and enhance the following areas of Developer Productivity:
- Build tooling to enhance and automate workflow
- Define and improve process
- Own and shape the roadmap and vision
- Passion for high quality products
- Focused on customer success
- Performing code reviews and giving cordial feedback
- Performing design reviews and providing original insights
- Creating clear designs with well thought out design docs
- Owning the entire project lifecycle, from inception to release
- Build tools to collect metrics, monitor, identify problems and scale limitations
- Build performant, scalable, well documented tests
- Work on API designs in close cooperation with other teams
- Collaborate with Product and other Eng. Teams to help them deliver features that satisfy our customers
- Own parts of release, patch and point management
- Ability to resolve infrastructure issues quickly and reliably
- A knack for analyzing non-performant tests and making improvements
Experience & Skills
- Existing valid work permit for Germany
- Team player and experience in working in globally distributed Engineering teams
- Self-driven and motivated, with a strong work ethic and a passion for problem solving
- Open Source contributions and participation is a plus
- Able to debug, troubleshoot and resolve complex technical issues
- Proficient in Python
- Respect for the written word and the art of communication
- Taking pride in your craft
- Experience designing, implementing and operating large-scale stateful distributed systems
- Experience in creating enterprise software
- Experience in running and operating complex, global, and mission critical applications / services, at very high scale.
- Experience in working in globally distributed Engineering teams
- Experience in using and managing one or more the following tools is required: Jenkins, Teamcity, GitHub, Docker, JIRA.
- Hopefully you've spent some time with some the tools of the DevOps trade, for example: Chef, Puppet, Bamboo, Terraform, Ansible, AWS code deploy, Gitlab CI, AWS Cloud Formation, GCP deployment manager, Octopus deploy, Vagrant
- Worked on developing CI/Deployment/Testing/Tooling or QA role is a plus
- Experience in Cloud services development / debugging and deployment
- You are a Software Engineer
- BS or Master’s degree in Computer Science, related degree, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience with with one or more CI/CD/Testing, SRE, DevOps, and infrastructure design, support, coding and deployment skills
- Background in mission-critical low-level infrastructure and OS components
- Worked on delivering a major service in a public cloud provider
- Certified AWS, GCP & Azure associate (or equivalent) level or higher
Mesosphere is leading the enterprise transformation toward distributed computing and hybrid cloud. We combine the rich capability you get from public cloud providers with the freedom and control of choosing your own infrastructure.
Mesosphere DC/OS is the premier platform for building, deploying, and elastically scaling modern applications and big data. DC/OS makes running containers, data services, and microservices easy across your own hardware and cloud instances.
Mesosphere helps businesses accelerate time to market, ensure resilient applications, and save on cloud and infrastructure costs. Backed by T. Rowe Price, Andreessen Horowitz, Khosla Ventures, Microsoft, HPE, Data Collective, and Fuel Capital, Mesosphere is headquartered in San Francisco with a second office in Hamburg, Germany.