JOB CATEGORY: Executive/Senior-level Manager
LOCATION: San Mateo/SF Bay Area, CA (Hybrid - 3 days/week at San Mateo Office)
Meru Health (name inspired by the documentary Meru) is a pioneer of the fourth wave of mental healthcare—a mind-body approach that uses human support, biofeedback, and digital tools to expand access while delivering superior clinical outcomes. We are on a mission to help 10 million people recover from mental health ailments by 2027, by utilizing the latest science and technology. If you’re looking for a place where your work has a strong impact on people’s lives, we invite you to join us on our mission!
We’re looking for a phenomenal VP of Finance to join our our leadership team and to lead our Finance function.
WHY YOU’D WANT TO JOIN US:
There are many reasons why Meru is a great place to work and grow, but below are few main ones why you’d want to join us:
- Mission with strong social impact. Help pioneer a new approach to mental healthcare (using human support, biofeedback, and digital tools) to help 10 million people over mental health challenges by 2027.
- Supportive and talented colleagues to work with. Work alongside an international & multicultural team where the practice of inclusion & psychological safety are paramount for transparency, collaboration, creativity and diversity of thought.
- We invest in your wellbeing. We practice what we preach. In addition to wellness and lunch benefits, flexible working hours and weekly breakfasts you will have access to Meru’s mental health program.
- We are an ambitious group of people who want to drive excellence, positive change and make a global impact in mental health. We challenge ourselves to grow as individuals and teams.
For US FULL-TIME Employees:
- Competitive base + stock options
- Meru Health pays 100% of Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance premiums for full-time employees & 50% for dependents
- Annual $1,500 HSA (Health Savings Account) contribution to single enrollees and $3,000 to those with dependents
- Paid Time Off 15 Holidays annually + 20 Vacation days your first year of employment, then 25 thereafter + 1 Birthday + 1 Service day to participate in any activities that elevate marginalized communities + 2 Compassionate days to take care of your mental health.
- Internet & phone expense reimbursement
- $250 Onboarding Home Office stipend!
- San Francisco Bay Area:
TEAM STRUCTURE & WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
When you join Meru Health, as a VP of Finance in our Finance department, you’re joining a team of entrepreneurs and creators who are passionate about making a meaningful difference in people’s lives.
We are looking for a Senior Financial leader to join our leadership team and to lead our entire finance function. You will oversee all aspects of Meru Health’s financial health - providing executive level direction and strategic oversight for financial planning, budgeting, and budget. You will also act as the secretary to the Board of Directors.
You will be joining a team of 4 members, reporting to our CEO. As a VP of Finance, you will be working closely with various key stakeholders like Growth, Operations, and Product teams across the organization. As a culture add, you approach personal and professional relationships from a place of care, curiosity, and open-mindedness. You genuinely care about the well-being of others and are actively keeping inclusion & diversity top of mind.
YOUR MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES WILL FOCUS ON:
This role will:
- Report to our CEO and will lead our finance and accounting function
- Oversee all aspects of Meru Health’s financial health - providing executive level direction and strategic oversight for financial planning, budgeting, and budget analysis, accounting and business operations, and risk management
- Own the strategic planning and forecast processes and potential fundraising initiatives
- Provide accurate and efficient reporting of financial results and variance analysis with a high sense of urgency in preparation for board meetings or investor relations
- Drive systems, processes and controls to enable broader financial subject area expertise throughout the organization
- Manage overall day-to-day financial planning across the company, including revenue and cogs recognition timing, payroll, operating and non-operating expense, and capital investments
- Review and certify monthly, consolidated financial statements for month end closes, present monthly forecasts and operational overview to executives
- Establish financial strategic vision, objectives, policies and procedures in support of the overall strategic plan
- Oversee and validate pricing models and lead initiatives to identify inefficiencies and areas of development and improvement
- Partner with the Controller, Director of Finance and additional accounting resources to create transparent and relevant financial reporting that the management team considers clear, concise and actionable
- Partner with the executives and the People Team on headcount planning, merit increases, and additional discretionary bonuses, reconciling relevant accruals and quarterly payout schedules
- Build, design, and architect a planning solution and potential visualization tools necessary for financial forecasting
WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THIS ROLE:
- Alignment with our values and passion for our mission
- 10 years or more of proven experience from a similar leadership role
- Experience with leading and growing finance teams.
- Strong leadership and motivational skills to build a strong and cohesive culture and teamwork mentality
- Clear and structured communication skills
- An entrepreneurial mindset. Rolling up your sleeves, thrive in ambiguity, test and learn culture and get things done
- Strong overall business acumen and eye for strategy
- Understanding of the healthcare / health insurance company claims billing processes is a plus
Work experience needed:
At least 10 years of leadership experience
Experience from a high growth technology startup company
Experience from supporting and building a team in a high growth environment
Experience from working with health insurance companies is a plus
Experience from a digital health / mental health startup is a plus
Knowledge, education, and/or training needed:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a suitable field
- Be well appraised of modern financing practices
Not sure if you should apply? Please keep reading...
Research shows that women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you think you have what it takes, but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.
HOW TO APPLY:
Could this position be your next career step? Apply by filling the application with a few clicks below!
If you require assistance with the application or have any questions about the position, process, or next steps don’t hesitate to contact our Talent Acquisition Team firstname.lastname@example.org
MORE ABOUT MERU HEALTH:
Meru Health is an online provider with licensed clinicians, a digital solution and a wearable device for our participants. Our solution is a comprehensive tool for participants to heal burnout, depression, and anxiety. Our 12-week mobile treatment program includes mindfulness and CBT practices, HRV Biofeedback, sleep medicine, nutritional psychiatry, and daily remote therapist support.
We are on a mission to help 10 million people recover from mental health ailments by 2027. We partner with healthcare organizations, large employers, and insurance companies who understand the need to offer comprehensive mental healthcare to members or employees, and to meet the challenges so many people face with trying to access mental healthcare services.
We are scientists, engineers and experienced entrepreneurs who have come together to make mental healthcare accessible, effective, and truly outcome-driven. Our mission is more than business, it’s personal. Our founders have lost friends and family members to depression, and we want to build a highly effective mobile treatment widely accessible to people in need.
At Meru Health, we don’t just accept differences — we celebrate, support, and thrive on them as a source of human creativity and richness of life, for the benefit of our employees, our customers, and our community. Meru Health is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
Watch this brief 1-minute animation to learn more about how our program works.
Get to know us and our culture.
Check out the science and research behind what we do.