Remote in the United States
Mercy For Animals aims to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!
We are currently seeking an accounting manager to join our finance team. In this role, you will manage the day-to-day finance and accounting operations of Mercy For Animals and serve as primary liaison and workflow manager among team members, contractors, vendors, auditors, and accountants.
You will do invaluable work:
- Manage accounts receivable, accounts payable, and team-member expenses using existing financial platforms
- Own, manage, and maintain the finance inbox and intranet page
- Serve as finance liaison for internal and external finance questions and requests
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual financial performance reports for the finance leadership team and Mercy For Animals senior leadership team
- Assist with FP&A, budget planning, monthly reports, grant management, and cash-flow modeling
- Assist in annual audit preparation and completion of form 990
- Perform account reconciliations and analyses
- Review and track departmental budgets and support planning and analysis
- Research, vet, and implement new financial platforms, software, and tools as necessary
- Support internal controls and process improvement to mitigate risk and ensure compliance with financial policies
- Support finance vendors and team members in all Mercy For Animals regions of operation
- Work closely with our fundraising team
- Follow all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned
Your qualifications will take our finance operations to the next level:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or a closely related field
- Three to five years of progressive experience in accounting
- Understanding of basic accounting principles and thorough knowledge of GAAP
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, Google Sheets, QuickBooks Online, and Bill.com (preferred)
- Familiarity with Salesforce and donation processing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as a high degree of organization and efficiency
- Strong customer service experience
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently and under pressure
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Previous work experience in nonprofit finance (a plus)
- Commitment to the mission, values, and objectives of the organization
- Commitment to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $51,000–$57,000, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.