Remote in the United States (East Coast preferred)
Mercy For Animals aims to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!
We are currently seeking a director of communications to join our engagement team. In this role, you will set and guide U.S. communications strategy for Mercy For Animals, leading our public relations, celebrity engagement, editing, and social media teams to increase Mercy For Animals brand awareness and amplify our campaigns, investigations, and videos.
You will do invaluable work:
- Pitch our campaigns, investigations, and videos to news-media outlets
- Manage media relations and maximize media opportunities
- Oversee and support our partnerships with celebrities and influencers
- Develop communications strategy and execute programs to deliver communications objectives across the organization
- Support and manage our U.S. communications specialist, a celebrity relations manager, and two editors
- Oversee the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic content, including our main website, e-newsletter, blogs, and Compassionate Living magazine
- Ensure all print and electronic content is engaging, optimized for search engines, and aligned with our goals and objectives
- Serve as spokesperson and media liaison in the United States and Canada
- Perform any other duties assigned
Your qualifications will take our communications to the next level:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or equivalent work experience in public relations and celebrity relations (experience in marketing, advertising, social media, digital marketing, fundraising, campaigning, advocacy, or lobbying welcomed)
- At least three years of management and leadership experience, with proven ability to manage, mentor, and motivate others
- Fluency in English, with excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Detailed understanding of the news-media industry and experience pitching the media
- Ability to work collaboratively, take direction, demonstrate initiative, and represent Mercy For Animals professionally
- Commitment to the mission and values of Mercy For Animals
- Commitment and openness to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
- Experience working with celebrities and influencers (desired)
- Thorough knowledge of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube (desired, with experience managing social media platforms with a large following a plus)
- Fluency in spoken and written Spanish (desired)
About Your Team Leader
Diane May is vice president of public engagement at Mercy For Animals, managing our communications, social media, and video teams. Before joining Mercy For Animals, she served as director of communications for Our Revolution, the grassroots organization founded by Sen. Bernie Sanders. Diane has more than 10 years of experience working on messaging and communications for successful national, state, and local campaigns across the United States. Diane lives in Washington, DC, with her rescue dog, Cookie.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $64,000–$72,000, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.