Remote in the United States
Mercy For Animals aims to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!
We are currently seeking a staff attorney to join our legal affairs team. In this role, you will provide legal support to all departments, with a particular focus on supporting Mercy For Animals’ corporate engagement department and related campaigns work.
You will do invaluable work:
- Provide legal support across departments and programs, handling legal issues that arise during day-to-day operations, including those relating to programmatic work and corporate matters
- Focus legal support on the corporate engagement department, which includes significant attention to corporate campaigns
- Review and draft contracts and other legal documents, such as consents and license agreements, including coordinating with internal stakeholders and negotiating with outside parties
- Manage Mercy For Animals trademarks and other intellectual property matters
- Provide legal research, advice, and other assistance as requested by internal stakeholders or directed by the deputy general counsel or general counsel
- Assist with impact litigation
- Develop and deliver staff trainings on legal and corporate issues
- Supervise legal interns
- Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned by the deputy general counsel or general counsel
Your qualifications will take our legal team to the next level:
- Juris doctor degree from an accredited law school
- Admission to practice law and good standing in at least one U.S. state
- Preferred minimum of two years’ experience practicing law
- Proven exceptional organizational and writing skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team setting
- Any combination of the following (preferred): professional or personal experience in an international setting, experience with defamation and freedom of speech laws, demonstrated interest in animal law issues
- Commitment to Mercy For Animals’ mission and values
- Commitment to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
About Your Team Leader
Your supervisor, Jodi Medoff, is our deputy general counsel, providing legal support and advice on our organizational programs, operations, and corporate matters. Jodi has practiced law for more than 15 years, including 10 years of in-house counsel work. She is a passionate advocate for animals and the nonprofit community.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $65,000–$72,000 depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, or economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.