Remote in the United States 

Mercy For Animals aims to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free.

As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!

We are currently seeking a foundation and corporate relations manager to join our development team. In this role, you will help ensure financial support of the organization by developing and implementing a strategic fundraising plan to identify, cultivate relationships with, and solicit foundations for funds to increase revenue for Mercy For Animals. This position also provides oversight and strategic management of the workplace giving program.

You will do invaluable work:

• Conduct research to identify corporate and foundation funding prospects for both Mercy For Animals as a whole and specific programs and projects
  • Develop and implement a comprehensive foundation fundraising program to generate gifts from private-sector foundations, family foundations, and corporations, including individualized strategies for prospects and donors
  • Proactively solicit and build lasting relationships with foundation and corporate donors through meetings and regular communication
  • Develop and execute strategies for cultivating ongoing alliances with influential players in the foundation grant-making community
  • Assist in the development and execution of a long-term growth plan for funding from foundations
  • Maintain an intense focus and a high level of personal activity, including writing letters of inquiry and proposals, regularly reporting on activities and progress toward goals
  • Manage and secure sponsorships for our signature gala
  • Lead all aspects of tracking, creating, and submitting corporate and foundation grant proposals and reports, including drafting, preparing supporting documentation, and collecting required attachments
  • Work collaboratively with colleagues and partners to identify, promote, and frame aspects of existing programs and plans that could attract grant and sponsorship funding
  • Maintain accuracy of the donor tracking system and database for corporate and foundation constituents while maintaining confidentiality of donor information
  • Oversee Mercy For Animals’ workplace giving program
  • Maintain regular reporting and reconcile income reports with the finance team
  • Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of the organization and its mission, programs, activities, resources, and fundraising needs, and persuasively articulate these needs to funding sources 
  • Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures
  • Perform any other duties assigned

Your qualifications will take our development team to the next level:

• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent record of professional achievement and qualifications
  • Five years of proven success in corporate and foundation fundraising (preferably with at least three of those years in a national or global nonprofit)
  • Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, particularly in corporate and foundation fundraising
  • Demonstrated experience in proposal writing, securing gift commitments, and developing relationships with corporations and foundations
  • Experience preparing timely, accurate, and comprehensive written reports and presentations
  • Ability to understand and utilize fundraising databases, software, and internet search engines to identify funding prospects
  • Advanced written and spoken communication, interpersonal, analytical, collaboration, and project management skills
  • Proven ability to effectively articulate clear and compelling messages and stories
  • Strong organizational and time-management skills, as well as self-motivation and discipline to regularly set and achieve work goals with minimal supervision
  • Excellent planning, tracking, and follow-up skills, with keen attention to detail
  • Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and limited resources
  • Ability to handle confidential and proprietary information with discretion
  • Commitment to the mission and values of the organization
  • Commitment and openness to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles

Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:

I am highly organized and self-motivated, with a knack for devising out-of-the-box solutions to complex issues. I am globally minded and adept at culturally competent communications. I am vegan and passionate about the mission, vision, and values of Mercy For Animals.

About Your Team Leader

Your supervisor, Susan, is Mercy For Animals’ senior vice president of philanthropy. She oversees and manages development and execution of fundraising strategy. Through all channels of fundraising, her team’s mission is to engage donors and prospects in a way that both educates and inspires them to give. A fundraising leader for more than 20 years, Susan is a passionate advocate for farmed animals and the nonprofit community. She is married to Tom, an estate and tax attorney, and is the proud mother of Emily. Susan is an avid reader and enjoys traveling, music, theater, and gatherings with friends and family.

Compensation and Benefits 

Earn an annual salary of $52,000–$57,000, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.

Application Details

We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values. 

Our Commitment to You

Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice. 

Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.

By submitting your information, you are indicating that you have read our Privacy Policy and accept its terms.

Apply for this Job

* Required

US/CA Demographic Survey Questions

Mercy For Animals’ mission is to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free to pursue their own interests.

We know that achieving this mission requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment––one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas within an equitable and just framework.

We are committed to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) and our culture respects authenticity, enabling every team member to be their best self.

We hold ourselves accountable to this commitment and would like to invite you to participate in a voluntary demographic questionnaire. The information you provide is confidential and will be used (in aggregate only) to help us continuously assess and improve our recruiting and hiring practices to be more inclusive and equitable.  

Providing this information is completely voluntary and will not be associated with your application, nor used in the hiring process or decision in any way.

*For purposes of this survey, a person with a physical and/or mentality disability is someone who (1) has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities; (2) has a record of such an impairment; or (3) is regarded as having such an impairment. This definition is provided by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. 701, et seq.).

I am a person with a physical and/or mental disability*: (Select one)

I am a Veteran: (Select one)

I would describe my ethnicity as: (Mark all that apply)

I would describe my race as: (Mark all that apply)

I would describe my gender as: (Mark all that apply)

I would describe my sexual orientation as: (Mark all that apply)

My highest level of education is: (Mark all that apply)

My age is: (Select one)

My Caregiver Status is: (Mark all that apply)