Six Months (July 1–December 31), 15 hours per Week

Remote in the United States

Mercy For Animals, a leading global nonprofit working to end the exploitation of animals for food and construct a compassionate food system, seeks internship candidates wishing to develop and apply skills in a nonprofit animal protection organization committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion.

Mercy For Animals’ U.S. paid internship program is a short-term opportunity open to students and entry-level or transitioning applicants

We know that to achieve our goals and realize our vision, we need diverse perspectives, drawn from a wide range of backgrounds, that help us expand and elevate our efforts in a united way.

We are publicly recruiting for paid internships to ensure we move beyond our immediate network and honor our ongoing commitment to inclusion and diversity to create a robust animal protection movement, organization, and society. We strongly encourage candidates from historically marginalized communities to apply.

As an intern in the Development Department at Mercy For Animals, you will gain hands-on experience in development and valuable knowledge of the animal protection movement. This position will allow you to hone a variety of skills in customer service, fundraising, organization, and communication as you help the department run smoothly and effectively to reach its fundraising goals. 

You will assist with critical work:

• Be the first point of contact and provide excellent customer service for supporters and donors who call or email, with a goal of responding within 24 hours: 
    • Assist donors who reach out with a variety of questions and needs, including unsubscribing from email lists, changing contact information, and updating communication preferences 
    • Redirect calls and emails as necessary if you aren’t the best person to take care of an issue (such as handling credit card information)
  • Help manage development’s organization-wide calendar in Asana so staff are aware of upcoming events, campaigns, and deadlines 
  • Help manage the development team’s calendars in Google, including scheduling departmental meetings and donor meetings for philanthropy officers and sending reminders about upcoming meetings and agendas that need review
  • Assist in managing and organizing multiple end-of-year donor thankathons, allowing the team to promptly thank donors for their gifts, and lead on organizing our Giving Tuesday thankathon
  • Help order any necessary office supplies to ensure philanthropy officers have the materials they need to communicate meaningfully with donors
  • Help the department share important updates at the biweekly all-staff meeting by creating compelling slides
  • Assist various team members with any other administrative tasks as they arise

We are looking for mission-aligned candidates with interest in key elements of our work:

• Fundraising
  • Donor relations and communication
  • Human resources
  • Nonprofit management
  • Technology 

Requirements

• Strong written and spoken communication skills
  • Strong organizational skills
  • Ability to work remotely
  • Passion for farmed animal advocacy 
  • Dedication to continual learning and growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
  • Experience with programs such as Slack, Asana, G Suite, and Salesforce (a plus)

Compensation

Interns are paid an hourly rate between $17.31 and $20.00, depending on education or experience, as well as given consistent weekly feedback. Additionally, interns will have opportunities to collaborate with other team members in the organization and grow their professional networks. Students may also work with their institutions to obtain academic credit.

Apply for this Job

* Required

When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review
+ Add Another Education

US/CA Demographic Survey Questions

Mercy For Animals’ mission is to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free to pursue their own interests.

We know that achieving this mission requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment––one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas within an equitable and just framework.

We are committed to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) and our culture respects authenticity, enabling every team member to be their best self.

We hold ourselves accountable to this commitment and would like to invite you to participate in a voluntary demographic questionnaire. The information you provide is confidential and will be used (in aggregate only) to help us continuously assess and improve our recruiting and hiring practices to be more inclusive and equitable.  

Providing this information is completely voluntary and will not be associated with your application, nor used in the hiring process or decision in any way.

*For purposes of this survey, a person with a physical and/or mentality disability is someone who (1) has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities; (2) has a record of such an impairment; or (3) is regarded as having such an impairment. This definition is provided by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. 701, et seq.).

I am a person with a physical and/or mental disability*: (Select one)

I am a Veteran: (Select one)

I would describe my ethnicity as: (Mark all that apply)

I would describe my race as: (Mark all that apply)

I would describe my gender as: (Mark all that apply)

I would describe my sexual orientation as: (Mark all that apply)

My highest level of education is: (Mark all that apply)

My age is: (Select one)

My Caregiver Status is: (Mark all that apply)