Remote in the United States
Mercy For Animals aims to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free to pursue their own interests.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us to help spread compassion around the globe.
We are currently seeking a farmer outreach manager to join our Transfarmation team. In this role, you will identify, organize, and empower farmers to transition out of intensive animal agriculture within Mercy For Animals’ innovative Transfarmation project, which seeks to create a just, equitable, and sustainable food system by building a global movement of farmers transitioning out of animal agriculture to sustainable crop farming.
You will do invaluable work:
- Lead and implement outreach efforts in the United States focusing on farmers wanting to transition out of intensive animal agriculture
- Manage recruitment by developing and implementing a recruitment strategy
- Arrange and attend one-on-one meetings and farm visits with farmers interested in Transfarmation
- Conduct regular check-ins with existing farmers in the program to determine how best to support them
- Develop strong relationships with farmers and map out their needs for transitioning
- Coordinate and supervise technical consultants, such as crop experts, to best support farmers in their transitions
- Collaborate with the economist to help farmers gain financial security as they transition
- Develop a program for and recruit farmer ambassadors who can expand outreach to other farmers
- Create and manage an online Transfarmation network for farmers to learn from one another and share best practices
- Run regular farmers meetings to create learning opportunities and a coordinated strategy
- Promote Transfarmation by speaking with media, as well as attending and speaking at events or conferences
- Collaborate with the Transfarmation director to plan and implement the project’s vision, strategy, and goals
- Maintain records and regularly report on all outreach efforts
- In collaboration with the director, work with the video, creative, and communications teams to help tell farmers’ stories, highlight the project’s success, and amplify Transfarmation’s visibility and impact
Your qualifications will take our Transfarmation team to the next level:
- Passion for creating a just, equitable, and sustainable food system through collaboration and movement building, especially with farmers raising animals in industrial models
- Experience in community organizing, nonprofit work, or social service
- Ability to empathize and communicate with people with different life experiences and values
- Deep understanding of, or direct experience with, animal agriculture, preferably industrial-scale chicken farming and the contract-farming system
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- Proven commitment and openness to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
- Excellent communication skills
- Willingness to travel locally and nationally
Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:
I am passionate about creating a more just, equitable, and sustainable food system by building an empowered movement of farmers transitioning out of animal agriculture. I am a natural networker with a strong ability to create rapport, empathize, and effectively communicate with people whose views and life experiences may differ from my own. My knowledge about the farming system is robust. I am a self-starter great at bringing people together to work effectively and collaboratively toward a common goal.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $48,000–$55,000, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.