Remote in the United States
Mercy For Animals aims to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free to pursue their own interests.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us to help spread compassion around the globe.
We are currently seeking a director of accounting to join our finance team. In this role, you will oversee and direct Mercy For Animals’ accounting operations and work with the department to ensure organization-wide financial management and controls.
You will do invaluable work:
- Manage and oversee general day-to-day accounting
- Prepare budgets and forecasts with department, analyze financial performance, and monitor cash flow for a budget of up to $16 million
- Maintain, develop, and document processes for finance and accounting
- Support international team members and accounting firms with best practices, troubleshooting, and monthly reconciliation
- Prepare and analyze monthly global financial reports, including grant reporting, and provide updates on financial status to key leadership
- Maintain relationships and connect with external auditors and international accounting firms, bankers, and legal counsel to determine and implement best practices
- Lead the organization’s efforts in annual audits and tax filings
- Devise and implement strategies for continual improvement of financial management and reporting systems to achieve peak operational efficiency, including cash-flow modeling, evaluating third-party vendors, negotiating fees, vetting and implementing new software solutions, and conducting ongoing cost-saving analysis
- Establish internal controls, policies, and procedures to mitigate risk and remain compliant with local, federal, and state or provincial laws and regulations
- Partner with the development team to ensure proper management of revenue channels and alignment of revenue reporting
- Follow all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned
Your qualifications will take our finance department to the next level:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field
- CPA license or enough experience to obtain one
- Five to seven years of accounting experience, preferably as a financial controller
- Advanced knowledge of QuickBooks
- Strong understanding of and ability to interpret and apply generally accepted accounting principles
- Work experience in nonprofit finance and grant management (preferred)
- Experience supporting international entities (preferred)
- Experience with Excel and Google Sheets
- Ability to solve problems effectively, communicate clearly, and meet deadlines
- Commitment to the mission and values of the organization
- Commitment and openness to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:
I am an innate problem solver, driven by analytics and metrics. A humble leader, I enjoy working collaboratively. I thrive under pressure and deadlines and can effectively manage time and resources. I am passionate about the mission and vision of Mercy For Animals.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $65,000–$75,000, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.