Remote in the United States

Mercy For Animals aims to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free to pursue their own interests.

As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us to help spread compassion around the globe.

We are currently seeking a director for our innovative Transfarmation project, which aims to create a just, equitable, and sustainable food system by building a global movement of farmers transitioning out of animal agriculture into growing crops.

You will do invaluable work:

• Lead the Transfarmation program alongside Mercy For Animals’ president and a cross-departmental team dedicated to transitioning farmers from animal- to plant-based agriculture
  • Expand the program from its pilot year to a full-fledged, streamlined program with sizable and scalable impact
  • Set the program vision, strategy, and goals in collaboration with the president and senior vice president of advocacy and track and report on progress
  • Develop and manage the program budget
  • Organize regular meetings with external partners seeking to collaborate under the Transfarmation umbrella
  • Manage and grow the Transfarmation corporate certification program
  • Liaise with farmers, aligned business and nonprofit leaders, crop consultants and scientists, and others to build a broad and diverse network of support for Transfarmation
  • Collaborate with the research team to develop the expertise necessary to help farmers transition to plant-based agriculture
  • Work closely with the government affairs and public policy team to promote local, state, or federal policy measures to advance the project and build broad political interest in reforming the food and farming system via farmer transitions
  • Oversee the farmer outreach manager, who will recruit farmers and support their transitions
  • Promote Transfarmation by speaking with media and at events or conferences
  • Collaborate with the development team to fundraise for Transfarmation via existing relationships and market the project to new and diverse supporters
  • In cooperation with the president and senior vice president of advocacy, organize the Transfarmation Business Advisory Committee, a group of mission-aligned executives offering pro bono advice to ensure the project’s success
  • Collaborate with the video, creative, and communications teams to help tell farmers’ stories, highlight project success, and amplify Transfarmation’s visibility and impact
  • Support Mercy For Animals’ global teams in implementing Transfarmation or similar programs in their regions

Your qualifications will take our Transfarmation team to the next level:

• Minimum of three years’ team-leadership experience
  • Passion for creating a just, equitable, and sustainable food system through collaboration and movement building, especially with farmers raising animals in industrial models
  • Knowledge of and experience in rural development or community building, rural economics, or agricultural sciences/systems
  • Experience working with farmers
  • Strong track record of innovation and ability to realize a bold vision
  • Demonstrated ability to manage projects to benchmarks and long-term goals 
  • Ability to empathize and communicate with people with different life experiences and values
  • Understanding of contract farming and other challenges modern farmers face (a major plus)
  • Proven commitment and openness to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
  • Outstanding interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
  • Excellent written and oral communication skills and willingness to speak at conferences, to the media, and via other public platforms
  • Willingness to travel locally and nationally and possibly globally once the program matures

Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:

I am excited to lead the Transfarmation team in defining, constructing, expanding, and promoting the program beyond its pilot year. I have a deep interest in agricultural science, policy, and rural development and seek to use my experience to create a just and sustainable food system, especially by offering farmers a way out of intensive animal agriculture. My empathetic mindset allows me to effectively communicate with people whose life experiences and views differ from my own. 

About Your Team Leader

Your team leader, the senior vice president of advocacy, is a results-oriented strategist who joined Mercy For Animals in March 2018 after working in both for-profit and nonprofit sectors. He values resilience in his colleagues because transforming a broken food system takes a lot of humility, persistence, and creativity. He hopes that Transfarmation will help people find common ground and recognize the many values we share. Outside of work, he enjoys spending time with his wife and companion animals and hiking (unless he’s tired), and he has an unhealthy emotional investment in the New York Giants.

Compensation and Benefits 

Earn an annual salary of $65,000–$71,000, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.

Application Details

We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values. 

Our Commitment to You

Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice. 

Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.

By submitting your information, you are indicating that you have read our Privacy Policy and accept its terms.

Apply for this Job

* Required

US/CA Demographic Survey Questions

Mercy For Animals’ mission is to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free to pursue their own interests.

We know that achieving this mission requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment––one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas within an equitable and just framework.

We are committed to the principles of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice (DEIJ) and our culture respects authenticity, enabling every team member to be their best self.

We hold ourselves accountable to this commitment and would like to invite you to participate in a voluntary demographic questionnaire. The information you provide is confidential and will be used (in aggregate only) to help us continuously assess and improve our recruiting and hiring practices to be more inclusive and equitable.  

Providing this information is completely voluntary and will not be associated with your application, nor used in the hiring process or decision in any way.

*For purposes of this survey, a person with a physical and/or mentality disability is someone who (1) has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities; (2) has a record of such an impairment; or (3) is regarded as having such an impairment. This definition is provided by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended (29 U.S.C. 701, et seq.).

I am a person with a physical and/or mental disability*: (Select one)

I am a Veteran: (Select one)

I would describe my ethnicity as: (Mark all that apply)

I would describe my race as: (Mark all that apply)

I would describe my gender as: (Mark all that apply)

I would describe my sexual orientation as: (Mark all that apply)

My highest level of education is: (Mark all that apply)

My age is: (Select one)

My Caregiver Status is: (Mark all that apply)