Remote in the United States, Mexico, or Brazil
Mercy For Animals aims to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free to pursue their own interests.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us to help spread compassion around the globe.
We are currently seeking an information technology and web developer generalist to join our technology team. In this role, you will do invaluable work:
- Develop and implement a systems maintenance plan for all servers in our internal environment—remote and cloud-based—including but not limited to alerts, upgrades, security protocols, disaster recovery, and routine health checks
- Respond to incoming requests from team members from all regions—providing remote technical support and troubleshooting issues to reach a full resolution
- Contribute to WordPress or Sass-integrated development projects that include SSO, XML, HTML, CSS, and JS components
- Work closely with the logistics team to support our hardware and software security policies and staff utilizing our cloud-based virtual private networks (VPNs) and end-point management solutions
- Create and maintain technical documentation and knowledge base articles for Mercy For Animals’ technical infrastructure
- Stay up to date with technology trends—identifying and recommending opportunities for improvement at Mercy For Animals
- Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned by team lead
Your qualifications will take our technology team to the next level:
- Junior- to mid-level relevant work experience, ideally in a service-based environment (help-desk or consulting experience)
- Familiarity with SAML, Google GSuite, device management, network security, VPNs, and MacOS
- Experience providing technical support to people with varied backgrounds
- Fluency in English written and oral communication (Spanish or Portuguese as a first or second language a plus)
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or relevant certifications (a plus)
- Critical thinking skills, with the ability to recognize the technological needs of the organization
- Ability to listen to team members’ needs and translate them into creative technology solutions
- Ability to problem-solve effectively and meet deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to work collaboratively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to operate in a highly detailed and organized manner while remaining flexible as the needs and priorities of the organization change
- Commitment to the mission and values of the organization
- Commitment and openness to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:
I’m a highly motivated technology professional who enjoys working in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects with a diverse group of people. I take pride in my ability to break down technical ideas to non-technical team members, and I’m always willing to jump in and troubleshoot an issue—even if I don’t have all the answers up front or the subject is outside my immediate expertise. I understand the importance of accurate, secure, and well-maintained technical documentation and approach this task with a high level of detail and organization. Technology is ever changing, and I recognize this in my work by looking out for ways to improve current processes, introduce new technologies, and constantly learn new skills. As a team member, I strive to be collaborative, reliable, and kind.
About Your Team Leader
Your team leader, the director of development operations, is a mission-driven technologist who joined Mercy For Animals in February 2020 after having held various technical and leadership positions in the arts & cultural non-profit community for 13 years. She believes that a strong technology strategy and its effective implementation is vital for mission-driven organizations to maximize their impact. As a former database administrator, she is highly detailed and risk-aware. As a former CRM strategist, she is always looking to the future—keeping her eye on where we want to be so we can identify opportunities and grow in the right direction.
She values a growth mindset and authenticity, and as someone who “thinks-out-loud,” she encourages people to voice even the so-called bad ideas—because you never know where inspiration might come from.
Outside the world of Mercy For Animals, your team leader enjoys abstract drawing, spending time with her six (foster fail) cats, cooking simple vegan food, and watching stand-up and sketch comedy.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $60,000–$68,000 (in the United States*), depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.
*Benefits and salary outside the United States will be shared early in the interview process.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.