Legal Fellow: Programs Support, One-Year Fellowship
Remote in the United States
As a legal fellow, you will gain the skills and experience needed to build a legal career in effective animal advocacy while furthering Mercy For Animals’ mission to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food.
You will support Mercy For Animals’ legal affairs division with analysis, drafting, and guidance regarding corporate engagement, investigations, public engagement, capacity building, government affairs, public policy, and legal compliance.
You will gain invaluable experience and perform impactful work:
- Research and analyze laws and policies relating to Mercy For Animals’ corporate and public engagement divisions, investigations, capacity building, and government affairs and public policy work
- Advise the corporate engagement and public engagement divisions regarding free speech, defamation, and intellectual property matters
- Review materials created by Mercy For Animals’ corporate engagement and public engagement divisions for compliance with applicable laws and policies
- Advise the investigations team regarding legal issues that arise during investigations
- Assist in drafting and reviewing contracts, including intellectual property licenses, privacy policies, and agreements with contractors
- Handle any other legal issues that may arise during Mercy For Animals’ day-to-day operations, including general corporate, risk management, and legal compliance work
- Follow all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited U.S. law school
- Admission to practice, pending admission to at least one state bar, or arrangements to sit for the next available bar examination
- Ability to work well in a team setting and at a fast pace
- Ability to work remotely with team members located across the country and internationally
- Proven exceptional organizational and writing skills
- Commitment to the objectives of the organization
- Demonstrated interest or background in vegan or factory-farm issues
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $50,000 plus benefits.
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We embrace new perspectives and innovative ideas that come only from a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment. We are committed to the principles of equality, equity, and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to be their best, true self. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements. Potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include and encourage candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.