Director of Organizing
Remote in the United States, Mexico, or Brazil
As director of organizing, you will plan, oversee, and execute Mercy For Animals’ global volunteer-engagement strategy by working closely with the senior vice president of engagement and regional managing directors to build highly involved communities of volunteers, develop community leaders, and create exciting opportunities for volunteers to contribute to the mission of Mercy For Animals.
You will do crucial work:
- Lead Mercy For Animals’ volunteer strategy, overseeing and expanding global volunteer-organizing initiatives in keeping with the mission and vision of the organization
- Work with other departments (particularly corporate, legislative, public engagement, and development) to identify opportunities for volunteer teams to support Mercy For Animals’ strategic goals and have a positive impact for animals
- Provide leadership, oversight, and support to the organizing team, including setting clear goals and expectations in partnership with managers
- Lead and motivate team members to foster morale, promote employee engagement, and develop high-performing teams
- Support the organizing team in developing tools and trainings for volunteers to grow into leadership roles and meaningfully contribute to Mercy For Animals’ goals
- Keep abreast of the latest trends in customer service and volunteer management, mobilizing, and organizing to identify opportunities for improvement
- Build relationships with other organizations to strengthen collaboration in the movement
- Identify initiatives to diversify Mercy For Animals’ supporter base and engage underrepresented communities in the animal protection movement
- Identify and lead initiatives that enable Mercy For Animals to support and strengthen the broader animal protection movement
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organization
Your qualifications will take the organization to the next level:
- Minimum of five years’ experience in managing volunteers, community organizing, or a similar field
- Strong understanding of mobilizing and organizing principles and best practices
- Excellent team-management skills
- Thorough knowledge of animal rights issues and advocacy
- Experience using CRMs or other volunteer-management tools
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to convey information clearly and effectively
- Self-motivation and the ability to work well independently and under pressure
- Ability and willingness to travel
Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:
I’m a positive and proactive leader, with an innate ability to inspire and motivate others. A strong communicator with exceptional interpersonal skills, I am a highly effective advocate and can smoothly navigate even the most difficult conversations and situations. I thrive under pressure and deadlines, and I know how to manage time and resources effectively. I’m vegan and fiercely passionate about animal protection.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $60,000–$75,000, depending on qualifications. Our paid time-off policy, including 20 vacation days a year, staff-appreciation days, holidays, and sick leave, is as generous as our no- or low-cost health insurance. We also offer a 401(k) plan, not to mention a collaborative and innovative work environment. *If you are based in Brazil or Mexico, annual salary and benefits may be different from those listed above.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications, so be sure to clearly convey in your cover letter your general fit for the role. A few things we would love to learn about are professional experience, internships, volunteer work, and side projects, as well as your overall alignment with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization, and we value diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability are encouraged to apply. We are committed to providing an inclusive, positive, respectful, safe, and supportive work environment where equal opportunities are available to all team members.