Senior Staff Attorney
Remote in the U.S.
As senior staff attorney, you will provide legal support to Mercy For Animals’ programs and operations while furthering our mission to construct a compassionate food system by reducing suffering and ending the exploitation of animals for food.
You will have a unique opportunity to help realize Mercy For Animals’ vision while gaining expertise in the legal and corporate affairs of an international nonprofit organization.
You will do invaluable work:
- Provide legal advice on Mercy For Animals’ various activities, handling any legal issues that arise during day-to-day operations, including those relating to programmatic work (e.g., corporate campaigns and undercover investigations) and corporate matters (e.g., employment, insurance, data protection, intellectual property, and contracts)
- Provide legal research, advice, and other assistance as requested by internal clients or directed by the general counsel
- Review and draft contracts and other legal documents, including coordinating with internal stakeholders and negotiating with outside parties
- Assist with impact litigation
- Develop and deliver trainings for staff on legal and corporate issues
- Assist with supporting and delegating work to staff attorneys, paralegals, and interns on the legal affairs team
- Help ensure strong corporate governance and corporate recordkeeping practices
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with private pro bono counsel, outside counsel, and attorneys for other animal protection organizations
- Communicate and meet with Mercy For Animals supporters as appropriate
You must be admitted to practice law and in good standing in at least one U.S. state and possess these additional qualifications:
- Minimum of eight years’ experience practicing law
- Proven exceptional organizational and writing skills
- Ability to take initiative and complete projects independently, including handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team setting
- Commitment to Mercy For Animals’ mission and values
One or any combination of the following is a positive:
- Second-language skills, especially in Spanish or Portuguese
- Professional or personal experience in an international setting
- Management experience
- Nonprofit experience
- Demonstrated interest in animal law or animal protection issues
Is this the right fit? Absolutely, if this sounds like you:
I possess the utmost integrity and easily build and maintain trusted relationships. I am highly organized with meticulous attention to detail. My written and oral communication skills are exceptional. I manage my time well and enjoy working on issues of varying complexity. I am passionate about ending the exploitation of animals for food.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $70,000–$80,000, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as an at-home worker. Our paid time-off policy, including 20 vacation days a year, staff-appreciation days, holidays, and sick leave, is as generous as our no- or low-cost health insurance. We also offer a 401(k) plan, not to mention a collaborative and innovative work environment.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications, so be sure to clearly convey in your cover letter your fit for the role. A few things we would love to learn about are professional experience, internships, volunteer work, and side projects, as well as your overall alignment with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization, and we value diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, and ability are encouraged to apply. We are committed to providing an inclusive, positive, respectful, safe, and supportive work environment where equal opportunities are available to all team members.