Mercari is your Marketplace. We make it super easy to sell (or buy) almost anything. We all have things we don't use, never used or simply outgrew. But that stuff still has value. Mercari gives you the power to simply sell it, ship it, and earn some cash for it. Fashion to toys. Sporting goods to electronics. All the brands you know and love. Our mission is simple: to make selling easier than buying. And with 50M+ downloads in the U.S. and 350k new listings every day, we're just getting started.
We’re looking for an experienced Risk Manager to join our team located in either Portland, OR or Palo Alto, CA. The Risk team is responsible for keeping our platform safe from financial fraud and misuse. Our ideal candidate is someone who handles a wide range of duties related to managing a team of investigators of varying levels of experience. A quality candidate will have solid experience in ecommerce payments, trust and safety, developing people, and succeeding in a customer-driven workplace.
For this role, the candidate must demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills as they relate to managing and mentoring a skilled team. They should also have practical experience in understanding and mitigating financial and ecommerce fraud, as well as managing risk projects which impact the entire risk team. This talented individual will constantly seek new ways to enhance and automate current processes and controls, bringing the Risk program to the next level. The Risk Manager may be subject to material which some may consider offensive in performing the essential job duties of this position.
- Manage and mentor a team of investigators supporting the review of potential fraud across various channels (i.e. payment fraud, seller fraud, ATO, chargebacks, etc) while focusing on meeting and exceeding established business goals and objectives of the department.
- Work collaboratively with Risk Leads to oversee Quality Assurance and Consistency to ensure that established policies and procedures are followed.
- Establish and communicate team goals and metrics, based on the needs of the Business, and adjust those goals with the changing environment.
- Monitor production levels, including adherence and schedules to ensure adequate staffing for queue volume.
- Perform necessary staffing tasks such as forecasting, interviewing, hiring, and career development in consultation with management and HR.
- Prepare and coordinate action plans and post mortem summaries to address fraud incidents and recommend enhanced detections.
- Communicate process and policy changes, while maintaining utmost professionalism and discretion.
- Proactively identify opportunities to improve and enhance systems and processes to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of the team to scale efficiently as Mercari grows.
- Drive ongoing improvement through data analysis and cross-team collaboration to mitigate risk and reduce fraud losses while keeping the customer experience top of mind.
- Partner with teams (customer experience, moderation, marketing, etc.) across the company to optimize communications to customers on fraud related issues
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS or work equivalent required. Graduate degree preferred.
- 5+ years minimum of Fraud or Risk Management Required. FinTech and/or E-commerce experience preferred.
- 3+ years of previous people management experience required.
- Detail-oriented with excellent communication and follow-up skills.
- Ability to communicate complex information accurately, clearly and quickly to all levels
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, drive and embrace change.
- High level of professionalism, discretion, self-motivation, and sense of urgency.
- Strong working knowledge of common corporate systems, internet, and software applications.
Mercari nurtures an all for one environment where teamwork and innovative thinking is the priority.
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- 401k match
- Life & disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- New parent paid leave
- Rocket Lawyer legal services
- Fond perks and rewards
- Time when you need it - unlimited vacation days