Mercari is Your Marketplace. We make it super easy to sell (or buy) almost anything. We all have things we don’t use, never used or simply outgrew. But that stuff still has value. Mercari gives you the power to simply sell it, ship it, and earn some cash for it. Fashion to toys. Sporting goods to electronics. All the brands you know and love. Our mission is simple: to make selling easier than buying. And with 50M+ downloads in the U.S. and 350k+ new listings every day, we're just getting started.
Understanding our users is how we are able to create intuitive, innovative products that help our users navigate the buying and selling experience. We are looking for an UX (User Experience) Researcher to join our growing, nimble and highly collaborative mission driven research team. You will work cross functionally with Designers, Product Managers, and Engineers to help deliver value to our users.
Your work will help us create useful, usable, and delightful new products while also helping us to constantly improve our existing product. You have deep user empathy and a passion for conducting research in a highly iterative environment. You bring a wealth of qualitative and quantitative methodologies and a creative, passionate focus on delivering great insights. You are an excellent communicator, knowledgeable about product development and design, and curious about the relationship between technology and society. You are comfortable in a fast-moving organization, excited to collaborate, and passionate about understanding and helping people.
If this sounds like you, come join us as we work to solve complex and meaningful problems for people and the society at large.
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead research projects from beginning to end, including ideation, prototyping, feedback cycles
- Collaborate with Designers, Product Managers, and Engineers to deliver actionable insights and influence product design
- Design and conduct user research studies, with an emphasis on tactical research, including surveys, heuristic evaluation, usability, and concept/prototype testing for our existing and future products
- Advocate research findings in clear, concise, and compelling ways to stakeholders.
- Synthesize data from multiple sources and communicate research findings to shape design and product decisions
What you’ll need:
- BA/BS degree in Human Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, Human Factors, Anthropology, Cognitive Science, Behavioral Economics, or equivalent practical experience
- Experience integrating user research into product designs and design practices
- Experience in survey design with a working knowledge of statistics and experimental design
- At least 2 years of relevant research experience on mobile and/or web products
- Expertise in conducting end-to-end research on digital products & experiences
- Experience conducting semi-structured interviews, usability studies either live or remote (e.g. Userzoom or usertesting.com)
- A passion for observing behavior and synthesizing insights into product design.
- Self-motivated and execution-oriented. Ability to execute at a high level of quality in a fast-paced, complex environment
- A collection of work demonstrating product impact through qualitative data
- Knowledge of standard research tools (e.g., UserTesting.com, Google Forms, Survey Monkey, etc)
- Exposure to a variety of quantitative research techniques (e.g., UX benchmarking, survey analysis, interpreting A/B test results and/or behavioral analytics)
- Excellent communication and persuasion skills, including the ability to influence key stakeholders
- A strong sense of user empathy
- Strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during the product development process
- Ability to create compelling presentations and confidently convey insights through storytelling
- Experience working on consumer-facing products across multiple platforms-web and mobile
- Passion for using data to inform decisions and to advocate for our users
Mercari nurtures an all for one environment where teamwork and innovative thinking is the priority.
- Remote-first workplace
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance options
- 401k match
- Life & disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- New parent paid leave
- Rocket Lawyer legal services
- Fond perks and rewards
- Time when you need it - unlimited vacation days