Companies rely on the media to help tell their story. Articles are written every day that can build a company up, or bring a critical view. Yet, companies have never been able to know how many people have read any of these articles, until now.
Memo is the only platform that partners with publishers to offer actual readership data on earned media. With a growing publisher network that includes Wired, Vanity Fair, New York Magazine and TIME, Memo empowers PR and Communications teams to understand their earned media in a way never before possible with other tools.
Memo raised a $7 million seed round from leading venture capital firms including Susa Ventures, MHS Capital and Founder Collective.
Our most recent funding round, a $10 million Series A raised in August 2021, gave us a $60 million valuation.
We are experiencing massive growth and actively seeking to hire roles on several teams in order to build a stable foundation designed to scale.
Who You Are
You are curious, flexible, and embrace learning on the fly. We are a small close-knit team where autonomy, self-sufficiency, and proactive communication will be the norm as opposed to a large company with a mountain of hierarchy and lots of established and rigid processes.
Our engineering team currently consists of the CTO and four engineers. We are ramping up and looking for people open to wearing many hats. We have been a flat team but as we grow, we need team members taking on leadership roles and responsibilities across the team. The scope of this role is wide open depending on the individual: general architecture, leading a part of the technical stack, managing/leading a team or individual projects, running sprints, engineering process, hiring and recruiting, culture. We are looking for the right fit for the team and will tailor the role based on experience and interest.
If you are a great coder who wants to be told what to build and go heads-down and deliver quietly this may not be the role for you. If you are someone who likes to collaborate with a cross functional team and jump in wherever needed then we would love to hear from you. We are looking for someone who can think bigger picture and is ok with challenges where there may be some uncertainty.
We support and embrace a remote culture but have a preference as we grow for someone who is local-ish and available to be in person in New York City on occasion.
How We Work
These values are important to us and we hope they are important to you:
- Ownership and Collaboration: You take pride in ownership and don’t need a team lead to remind you when something needs to be done or to follow up on status. While you are a solid engineer your real talent is in being a force multiplier by supporting the team.
- Communication and Transparency: Remote work and distributed teams has multiplied the need for good proactive communication. You aren’t afraid to ask for help or point out areas we need to work on as a team, and to step in and facilitate communication when it is missing.
- Resourcefulness and Curiosity: Not all problems have a Google-able solution at hand. You’ve been around enough to know how to solve problems you have never seen before. Have you ever had to dig into source code of an open source project to figure out why it did not work as expected and found an undocumented bug? That is the kind of engineer we value.
- Simplicity: You favor simple solutions to complex architecture and favor building something basic and fundamental first then improving as needed instead of trying to make the perfect solution up front.
- 4 or more years of professional hands-on experience as an engineer. You understand typical engineering processes and are comfortable with standups, sprints, Git, JIRA, etc.
- Understanding on general approaches to API and microservice design.
- Strong with Ruby on Rails. We have a rails-based microservice architecture and are continuing to evolve and improve that.
- Comfortable with the basics: HTML, CSS, JS/TypeScript, SQL, etc.
Nice to Haves
- EngineExperience with Python (especially in an AWS Lambda environment).
- Experience working with big data, especially with EMR and Snowflake
- Experience working with d3 or any similar data visualization libraries.
- General AWS fluency
- DevOps Experience: Docker, EKS, and CI/CD tools, CloudFormation, DataDog, etc.
Key Things to Know
- This role will be remote
- We want you to start ASAP
- This is a full-time position
- Competitive base salary
- Stock options
- Health insurance
- Commuter benefits